Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a good refractometer that's not too expensive ?

Thanks!
Q

Well its great for AG brewing when ur looking to see what the gravity is of the first/second runnings. Its also good for checking gravities pre/post-boil and then to determine if the gravity is stable after fermentation. It only uses a drop, maybe two instead of filling up ur thief several times when using the hydrometer.

Refractometers are also inaccurate after fermentation because the presence of alcohol so after fermentation when checking the FG, u should always use a hydrometer. But ive found it is still worth the investment since ive gone to AG batches.

I was looking at this one but was concerned about the warning that is not very acurate at higher gravities

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RSG-100ATCc...014?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3382c02aae

Last month I got their $29.90 which is supposed to be an ounce heavier than the $21 one. Don't know if weight makes any difference to you. Otherwise they look very similar. The look of the scales may be slightly different too, who knows?

The SG scales on these are all off at the higher gravities. I really don't understand why that cannot be fixed once and for all. Come on now, next time you get 1,000,000 scales printed send the correct one...

To get the correct SG value:
Read the Brix and plug it in a calculator or look up the correct SG values on a printed out table. For lower gravities you could use the refractometer's internal SG scale.

You can also use a calculator or print out an alcohol-corrected scale for determining FG.

Go to http://www.homebrewfinds.com

They have one up today that is $21 shipped. It is the one I use for OG.
Remember that you cant use it to figure FG unless you use the factor conversion calculator.

Cheers.!

That's what got me looking to buy one but check out the item description.it's a linear formula so it will be inaccurate

INACCURACY OF THE RSG-100ATCc TO BE AWARE OF! (a disclaimer)

Inaccuracy? What? Yes. This is the disclaimer that you should read before you buy. The other guys don't post this because they don't know any better! They just sell "stuff"...

Please be aware that this unit and the other cheap units sold on eBay have an internal flaw. What's the flaw? The Wort SG scale gradually becomes inaccurate the higher you go.

When the scale was conceived, it was done so using a simple formula - % Brix x 4 = Wort SG. For example, 10% Brix x 4 = 1.040 Wort SG, which is somewhat accurate. Move it out to 20% Brix and you have a problem - 20% x 4 = 1.080 Wort SG, but it's really 1.084 Wort SG! The scale becomes more in accurate the higher you go! Making an Strong American Ale or a Double IPA? Using this unit (RSG-100ATCc) could cause problems with higher gravities!

Latest posts

Back