Can any Refrigerator Guys Answer My ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I own a Good Humor Sub Zero Ice Cream freezer.

I had a video store, the freezer worked fine for years in the store. Obviously, my video store is closed and I put the freezer into storage. I realized I could use this a huge kegerator and pulled it out of storage.

I powered it up and it worked, however it was extremely moldy.

I covered the entire inside in a thick paste of PBW to get the mold stains off. Washing it down some of that water could have leaked through the box that holds the refrigerator 'engine'.

I let it dry for several days, I plugged it in an it would immediately short circuit.

I'm not an electrician, but I can read and follow an electrical diagram. I've build a RIMS tube, digital temperature controls, pump control boxes, I'm a handy guy.

I did a visual inspection nothing looked crimped, or wet, or bad.

(I'm getting to my question)

I found a panel that said "Heater Aluminum Frame On-Off"

I turned it off, plugged the freezer in and it worked! I have a STC-1000 digital temperature control to dial in the temperature of the freezer.

MY QUESTION:

What is "Heater Aluminum Frame"?

2ND QUESTION:

"Do I need it?"

Here is my *guess*: This device thaws the freezer and I'll be fine with out it as I'm just using it as a big fridge.

3RD QUESTION:

"Do you think I can fix it without hiring someone?"

Any answers are appreciated.

Thanks!

Odds are that water sitting on/around the element that keeps the rim from sweating (condensation) could just need to dry out. If your using it as a fridge now doubt you'll need it.

Back