No eyes on rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
I am planting some additional hops and they don't seem to have any eyes on the rhizomes. Is this a concern?

Shouldn't be a problem just keep em good soil and moist as they will sprout

I'd say wait and see. I bet you'll get growth out of them sooner or later as long as they've got dirt and water.

I planted 10 rhizomes this year! Pumped.

I went w some 2 parts garden soil, 1 part mushroom compost, 1 part sand. Sitting at about 12 plants total and 6 varieties! Excited...my wife.... not so much.

I got almost the same thing going on. Wife is not excited I am so today I'm hwmbo! The outdoors is mine she can decorate the house I'll decorate the yard

Awesome.... i need to work on the trelllis system this weekend. I guess since I'm kicked out of the house tomorrow night for the "pleasure" party my wife is hosting... that I'll go look for supplies for it.

Out of four varieties (one rhizome each) three already have bines out and growing. The fourth, Cascade, was buried a bit too deep initially (4-5 inches compared to 2-3 inches) and I moved it up about 2 weeks ago. It's still not showing bines but it's developing roots like crazy and I think at least one spout. Just be patient! It's a wonderful feeling to watch them develop every day!

Awesome... one of my casscades that I planted about 3 weeks ago is 5 inches high and growing crazy now that its not raining and cold.... the other 5 that were planted at the same time have been slower... in fact 1 was dead... rabbits got to it... and the other 3 are just breaking thru.

Some of the ones I planted last night were huge and were transplants from a guy who gave me some 4 y/o plants. Excited to see what happens with those... Do you have any pictures of your trellis system?

Awesome... one of my casscades that I planted about 3 weeks ago is 5 inches high and growing crazy now that its not raining and cold.... the other 5 that were planted at the same time have been slower... in fact 1 was dead... rabbits got to it... and the other 3 are just breaking thru.

Some of the ones I planted last night were huge and were transplants from a guy who gave me some 4 y/o plants. Excited to see what happens with those... Do you have any pictures of your trellis system?

I have ants on one of my plant but they don't seem to be interested in it. I guess it's because I used the cooling water from my last brewing (with some wort in it) for watering :D

I don't have a picture of my trellis system but a few from the growing plants They're from last Friday). I'll try to explain below the pics how it works.

Magnum:
2013-05-10%2008.11.15.jpg

Nugget:
2013-05-10%2008.11.26.jpg

Centennial:
2013-05-10%2008.11.35.jpg

As for the trellis - these containers are just below the deck which is ~10 feet or so above ground. I put a piece of 2x4 across the rail so it's parallel to the ground. I then drilled a few holes in the sides and inserted the bent ends of a tomato cage (Home Depot) into the holes. They are hanging down now to give a nice growing area for the hops. I then run some nylon rope from the cage to the containers for the bines to climb up one (you can see the ropes in the pictures). Does that make sense? I'll try to shoot pictures of the whole thing soon!

Iteresting..> im ay have to check that out... someo f mine are are in pots... some are in the ground/mound.... all will have to on the back side of my fence so the wife doesn't have to notice them all the time!

The main reason why I went the "container" route is that I was afraid that the different varieties would grow too close together. This location is perfect since it's facing South-East and the plants get up to 7 hours of sun each day :)

Luckly mine is on the South side of house with really nothing behind us...so sun will not be an issue either!

The main reason why I went the "container" route is that I was afraid that the different varieties would grow too close together.

I just said screw it and put 'em all in the ground. I put same variety rhizomes 3 feet apart and different ones 5 feet apart. Good enough!

Cool set up. Wish my deck was higher so I could do that.... I need to really get to work on my trellis stuff....

Back