BIAB partial mash and late addition question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi all, I plan on brewing a PM kit (BIAB) of Sierra Nevada Torpedo this weekend and had a question on what to add as my late addition.

The kit comes with 2lbs of DME and 5 lbs of LME. I'm planning on adding the 5 lbs of LME as the late addition but was wondering if I should add all 2 lbs (or any) of the DME upfront since I'll be extracting sugars from mashing?

For the grains, the kit comes with 3lbs of Pale Ale Malt and 11oz Crystal Malt.

Thanks for your help.

You'll have enough gravity points for Hop utilization from mashing the pale malt and also from

steeping the Crystal malt .

So , you can add all the DME at 15 minutes and all the LME at flame-out . Then put the Lid on and leave it

for 10-15 minutes and then cool it .

Hector

Any other opinions on my late additions? The kit comes with 2- 1lb packs of DME along with the 5lbs of LME so I can easily add 1lb of the dry upfront leaving the LME and other LB of the dry for the late additions.

Not that I don't trust your opinion Hector, I just thought to see if there were any other thoughts ;)

Well,you've got nearly 4lbs of grains there. So mashing in 1.5 gallons & sparging with 1 gallon would give 2.5 gallons of fresh wort to do the partial boil with. So you could indeed save the extracts for a late addition. Or up the boil volume to 3.5 gallons if you're using a 5 gallon kettle & add 1lb of the DME. Do your hop additions,then add all remaining extracts at flame out.
When I'm doing my PB/PM BIAB thing,I mash 5-6lbs of grains in 2 gallons of water & sparge with 1.5 gallons. Gives 3.5 gallons boil volume. I use that for all hop additions & add the extract at flame out.
Now,contrary to average beliefs,pasteurization happens about 162F & takes mear seconds. And since the wort at flame out is still boiling hot,it's fine to stir in late extracts at that time as long as you work quickly. cover the kettle & allow to steep a couple minutes while you get the wort chill ready,& maybe sanitize the FV or something. Then chill & proceed as normal.

Thanks Unionrdr, I'm actually in the middle of my brewing now :)

I ended up with 1 gal sparge and dunked/steeped for about 5 min after the mash (1 hour).

I just started my boil and topped off with water to 4 gals. So do you think I should add 1 lb of the dry extract?

thanks as always!

thanks guys, I ended up adding 1 lb of the DME upfront and the other lb (along with the 5lbs of LME) as the late addition.

She's a bubbling away now :)

Back