Smelly treacle ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor

Reaction score
Hi I've made some treacle ale and its rather smelly, I was wondering if anyone had some experience with making it?

Treacle can be "barn-yard-y" when "fresh". It is sulfurous and can get smelly. How much did you use, what was the recipe?

1lb golden syrup
half lb of vlack treacle
1 gallon of water
yeast

I've used two kind of yeast, Danstar nottingham and Safale S-04, English Ale Yeast.
First time I used the nottingham and put the whole pack in The second time I put half of the Safale.I thought this might be the reason it maybe smelling so pungent.

That's a lot of treacle for a gallon batch. I have typically seen/used around a pound for a 5 gallon. It's been a long time, maybe 10 years, but I do remember that smell. Mine was generally gassed out after fermentation, it might need some gentle "degassing" as the wine folks do, or maybe just grin and bear it and learn from the experience.

I'll try halfing the syrup and treacle, when I syphoned it off it did taste good but it made my head spin.

Latest posts

Back