Wrong Yeast in Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bergman51

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

When I was buying the supplies for apfelwein, I accidentally bought a different type of yeast than the recommended Red Star Montrachet. Without even looking at the label, I bought Red Star Pasteur Red (it must have been in the Montrachet container at the store). I put the batch together last night and again didn't even think to look at the label of the yeast while I pitched it (they look identical). Now, I'm looking at the apfelwein today, and it had a bit of krausen on the top which is unusual from the previous 3 batches I've made. I pulled the empty package out of the garbage and see that it's Pasteur Red.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type of yeast? Should I expect a lot of krausen on the top? I fill my carboy up as much as possible for apfelwein, so there really isn't much room for it. Also, any ideas on how this might turn out? I'm sure that it won't ruin it, but I'm really curious as to how this might turn out.

Thanks folks.

Back