Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skizotty

Reaction score
My IPA has been bottled now for about one and a half weeks. I wanted to try one so I did. It had VERY little carbonation. I know typically 3 weeks to condition but expected a little more carbonation. It tastes good just not much carbonation. I used the proper amount of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch. Just wait?

My IPA has been bottled now for about one and a half weeks. I wanted to try one so I did. It had VERY little carbonation. I know typically 3 weeks to condition but expected a little more carbonation. It tastes good just not much carbonation. I used the proper amount of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch. Just wait?

Yes, if you used the correct amount of priming sugar (generally 4-5 ounces by weight of corn sugar), the beer will carb up just fine. Keeping it at 68-74 degrees if possible would encourage it to carb up more quickly than at a cooler temperature.

Yooper said:
Yes, if you used the correct amount of priming sugar (generally 4-5 ounces by weight of corn sugar), the beer will carb up just fine. Keeping it at 68-74 degrees if possible would encourage it to carb up more quickly than at a cooler temperature.

My temps are right around 65-68 degrees consistently. I am thinking I just need to give it some more time. Thanks all. Cheers

New brewers who start threads like this always seem to "expect" more carbonation when they open early...but in truth it doesn't matter what you expect. It still takes as long as it takes, which is around 3 weeks for most average gravity beers.

It doesn't matter or change anything whether or not when you open it early if it "pfffts" or not....it's STILL too early. Some early opened bottles make a his, some don't and some gush because the co2 is not in solution, and they're still not carbed simply because it's too early.

Relax.

I wait 2 months before opening any new brew's. Here's why. I'm still a new brewer but have learned even if a beer is carbed, It still taste green to me. I have recently brewed a 2nd batch of my half wheat/IPA recipe that I really like. I tried it 3 weeks after bottling. The day before I had finished the last bottle of the first brew. WOW was the older brew so much better. I was scared I messed up my new batch not thinking DUH, the age difference. So after just 3 more weeks the new brew was tasting like it was posed to. After reading time after time people saying "wait" let it age some. I have experienced it for my self just how big of a difference it makes and its huge.... I ask a lot of question on here and over think things a lot. BUT its because I can learn from others mistake's , I dont have to make them myself to learn something.

I wait 2 months before opening any new brew's. Here's why. I'm still a new brewer but have learned even if a beer is carbed, It still taste green to me. I have recently brewed a 2nd batch of my half wheat/IPA recipe that I really like. I tried it 3 weeks after bottling. The day before I had finished the last bottle of the first brew. WOW was the older brew so much better. I was scared I messed up my new batch not thinking DUH, the age difference. So after just 3 more weeks the new brew was tasting like it was posed to. After reading time after time people saying "wait" let it age some. I have experienced it for my self just how big of a difference it makes and its huge.... I ask a lot of question on here and over think things a lot. BUT its because I can learn from others mistake's , I dont have to make them myself to learn something.

Oh, man, I'd die if I waited two months to open a beer! My lower OG beers are gone by then!

Oh, man, I'd die if I waited two months to open a beer! My lower OG beers are gone by then!

LOL . I have a brewing problem. I brew more than My wife and I drink. We are the only one's who drink our brew and I only drink about 2 beers every 3 days. Wife drinks about half the time I do. But I like to brew . If it wasn't for my brother living with us 6 months last year I would have never gone thru all the beer I brewed my first brew season. He was stationed in Germany in the U.S. Army and he loves craft beer. Now I have 7 case's of brew and a Barley wine fermenting away and wondering if I over did it again. Oh well . I need more friends that like craft beer.

Latest posts

Back