igloo cooler as fermenter ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irena

Reaction score
i have a 6 gallon old igloo (other than my mash tun) in home.i want to know if i can use it as a fermenter ? and what about using it as secondary for long time (4-5 month) ?
thanks.

If it is clean enough and does not have scratches for germs to hide in, I would think that it should be OK for a primary fermentor.

But I would question using it as a secondary, especially for months. I doubt that the lid seals out the air all that well, so I would worry about oxygen getting in and oxidizing your beer.

I would think the cooler would insulate too well and cause the heat produced by fermentation to raise the wort temp too high. Maybe I'm over-thinking it, though.

if oxidizing is the only issue with it as secondary ,can i seal it with some glue or wax !?

I would think the cooler would insulate too well and cause the heat produced by fermentation to raise the wort temp too high. Maybe I'm over-thinking it, though.

wow,i didn't think about that ! is that serious ?

Not over-thinking, just thinking. :D

Oh, and I agree. This alone would stop me from even considering using and insulated cooler as a fermenter.

wow,i didn't think about that ! is that serious ?

It will just increase the byproducts normally associated with warm fermenations, namely ester production by the yeast.

You'll still get beer in the end.

In a glass or plastic fermenter temperature can be 5-10 degrees higher than ambient. Can't imagine how high it would go if there was no way for the heat to move away.

edit:
sounds like a good experiment
but I'm not willing to sacrifice my beer. :p

Okay,i am going to put it back where it was.

Wait, put it back?

If this is a secondary vessel (and fermentation is complete), a well sealed cooler may actually help hold your conditioning temperatures.

edit:
. . . although not sure of the oxygen permeability of the type of plastic used in a cooler?

I think re-purposing it for somethin other than fermentation is a wise decision.
those are not really air tight, or able to be sanitized enough for my comfort level.

hlt? ice bath for chiller? seat? grain storage? seat AND grain storage?

I think re-purposing it for somethin other than fermentation is a wise decision.
those are not really air tight, or able to be sanitized enough for my comfort level.

hlt? ice bath for chiller? seat? grain storage? seat AND grain storage?

This is wise idea.

Wait, put it back?

If this is a secondary vessel (and fermentation is complete), a well sealed cooler may actually help hold your conditioning temperatures.

edit:
. . . although not sure of the oxygen permeability of the type of plastic used in a cooler?

It will reach ambient temp after a couple of days so not going to help with temp much or at all.

It will reach ambient temp after a couple of days so not going to help with temp much or at all.
Referring to insulating against temperature swings after it has reached the ambient temperature. Day time, night time temperatures. Home thermostat being run on a setback when no one is home. Drafts from open doors, ect.

Don’t get me wrong. This is not something that I would do or promote others to do. Just trying to find something to list in the “pros” column. Regardless, the cons are too great to make it a useful idea.

I would avoid plastic for longer-term storage (secondary and aging.) If the heat isn't an issue, it might be ok for primary.

Referring to insulating against temperature swings after it has reached the ambient temperature. Day time, night time temperatures. Home thermostat being run on a setback when no one is home. Drafts from open doors, ect.

Don’t get me wrong. This is not something that I would do or promote others to do. Just trying to find something to list in the “pros” column. Regardless, the cons are too great to make it a useful idea.

Ahh, gotcha. I keep my carboy in a water bath in my garage for the same purpose. It actually would work for that, but as you point out it would still probably make a pretty poor vessel for long term conditioning. Too porus, too much head space, risk of oxygenation, etc.

I came across this old thread and wanted to share my thoughts, even for an old post... I hope you didn't abandon the use of the cooler for a fermenter... There is nothing wrong with fermenting in a cooler, it will not raise the temp of your beer more than probably a degree for a small beer, maybe two for a fast fermentation of a bigger beer.... I have done it many time.... I prefer the large round coolers that have the round screw type lid.. To better protect agains infection due to the lid "lipping" over the base...
Keep in mind the air lock will probably not be a necessary install due to escaping gasses near around the lid, this has never been a problem... I would only suggest primary and not doing a secondary with a cooler that doesn't have an air tight seal for obvious reasons... As soon as ferm is over rack to secondary to clear... Clean in a manner that will not scratch the cooler and it will serve you a long time... Cheers

I am thinking about using one for a Barleywine Kviek Hornidal Recipe. Since they like the higher temps this may be perfect. It also will make top yeast harvesting a snap

Latest posts

Back