If / When To Add Extra Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveAsh

Reaction score
Hello,

First post in line with my first ever home brew.

I put half the yeast in as per the instructions when it first went into the demi john.

(Note: the yeast is 3 months past it's best before date)

The instructions state:
"If airlock does not bubble after 4 days, then add remaining yeast"

after 4 days, I can see some small bubbles in the airlock, and there is krausen building on the top of the liquid after being flat looking initally - pics below.

I was expecting something like this to happen:

I don't think it has, but if it has, I didn't see it - not sure how long it's meant to last so may have missed it if it happened over night or something

so based on the images below - would you say I need to add the rest of the yeast?

and if so, do I add it straight in or rehydrate it first?

all input greatly appreciated

AolsUXV.jpg

sWZYSUG.jpg

The instructions state:
"If airlock does not bubble after 4 days, then add remaining yeast"

I've never heard of instructions like that. What kit is it? What is the volume and OG? What yeast, and how much? Has the yeast been refrigerated before being used?

I've never heard of instructions like that. What kit is it? What is the volume and OG? What yeast, and how much? Has the yeast been refrigerated before being used?

cheers for the reply

so, it was a kit bought from brewcraftbeer.co.uk called Papa Horton's American Pale Ale - the site isn't live anymore but you can see a snapshot of the old page here - which includes screengrab of the instructions

https://web.archive.org/web/20180617222955/http://www.brewcraftbeer.co.uk/how-to-brew-14-c.asp

I don't know about the volume, OG or yeast - and it hadn't been refigereated

the airlock did start bubbling - not vigorosuly, more an occasional thing about every 90 seconds or so and seems to have slowed - but the beer itself was full of tiny bubbles and appears to be alive - so think I'm on the track

so I didn't add further yeast

Sorry - I've been tied up and haven't been back on the forum for a couple days. I agree that you had some fermentation - the kraeusen (foam on top) indicates that, although that's not a whole lot of kraeusen. It seems like you would have had stronger bubbling, but maybe a small match doesn't bubble as much as a larger batch. In the photo, the stopper and airlock look like they should have a good seal. A poor seal can prevent bubbling. I think I would do the same as you - let it ride. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back