How Much Safale S-04 to use on 1gal batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvindc125

Reaction score
I have a pack of Safale S-04 I usually only make small 1 gallon batches of cider and for that I use EC 1118 But I keep thinking it would be cool to use the pack of safale S-04 and maybe throw in some extra light DME. The thing is I have no idea how much Safale S-04 to use in a 1 gallon batch of cider. EC 1118 you just toss the whole batch in and let her rip but theere is a WHOLE lot more S-04 in the pack then with EC 1118. I suspect using the entire amount of S-04 will make the cider tast to yeasty.

Lastly if I wanted to add extra light DME do I need to add grain? I hear it wont convert with out grain but there is conflicting info out their. Any help at all would be awesome!

Thank You!

If you value your money, sprinkle 1/4 to half a teaspoon in roughly and use the rest for other 1 gallon batches.

If not and you can't be bothered to keep using the same pack just chuck it in, works the same either way.

If you value your money, sprinkle 1/4 to half a teaspoon in roughly and use the rest for other 1 gallon batches.

If not and you can't be bothered to keep using the same pack just chuck it in, works the same either way.

I came back to this thread to say I just figured it out LOL. 1/2 teaspoon should be plenty. Now to figure out the DME part.

Back