Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal batch that I have dry hoped with whole hops and I am assuming that they will suck up a decent amount of wort . If they do suck up say a gallon witch I know is in no way likely how do I adjust my priming sugar so I don't have a over carbonated beer . It's an extract kit with 5 oz priming sugar.

You can siphon to the bottling bucket - then see how much you have - then calculate how much priming sugar you need. If so stir in the solution very carefully so as not to do any splashing.

That's what I wanted to avoid I had to do that on my last batch because I forgot about the priming sugar and it came out strange

Use the priming sugar calculator here

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

It lets you adjust volume, as well as sugar (if you wanted to use something other than dextrose/corn sugar) and CO2 volumes based on style, and temp also (I heard someone else say use the highest temp that the beer rose to during fermentation - but there it says CURRENT temp of beer - so not exactly sure on that one... I just use current as it says). Also it gives you the amount in both weight and cups, so you dont have to weigh out (or look up) a particular sugar to figure out its volume equivalent, which saves some time doing calculations (I used it the other day just for this feature - i had a 5 gal recipe that called for 2 lbs brown sugar, and i needed to convert to cups for a 1 gal batch). Quite a nice tool to have... Bookmark the page!

Use the priming sugar calculator here

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

It lets you adjust volume, as well as sugar (if you wanted to use something other than dextrose/corn sugar) and CO2 volumes based on style, and temp also (I heard someone else say use the highest temp that the beer rose to during fermentation - but there it says CURRENT temp of beer - so not exactly sure on that one... I just use current as it says). Also it gives you the amount in both weight and cups, so you dont have to weigh out (or look up) a particular sugar to figure out its volume equivalent, which saves some time doing calculations (I used it the other day just for this feature - i had a 5 gal recipe that called for 2 lbs brown sugar, and i needed to convert to cups for a 1 gal batch). Quite a nice tool to have... Bookmark the page!

Having written a priming sugar calculator (link in my sig) and being forced to learn the math behind one, I can tell you with certainty that the highest temp post fermentation is the correct temp to use.

As temp rises, CO2 is lost due to degassing. Lower temps allow more CO2 in solution, but since fermentation is done, any CO2 lost is not replaced - and msut be made up for with sugar.

An once or two of whole hops won't suck up that much beer. But you can put'em in a large fine mesh strainer & squeeze'em out a little. I've done that before. Angels share my a$$...I want my beer back! :D

homebrewdad said:
Having written a priming sugar calculator (link in my sig) and being forced to learn the math behind one, I can tell you with certainty that the highest temp post fermentation is the correct temp to use.

As temp rises, CO2 is lost due to degassing. Lower temps allow more CO2 in solution, but since fermentation is done, any CO2 lost is not replaced - and msut be made up for with sugar.

Good to know... Thanks for explaining!

I think you may be over thinking this just a bit. Hops sucking up a gallon of wort? How much did you use to dry hop????? That's a lot of wort to loose by dry hopping. But if you're fears are realized, just relax. There are TONS of priming calculators out there to help. Here are a few.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

http://www.backyardbrewers.com/?page_id=201

Diver's right, don't over think this. I've dry hopped, never worried about how much is absorbed and never been over carped.

But the thing to realize is that, even if you have some hop loss, it's really NOT going to over carb your beer. If you look at carbing to style charts, you will see that every beer style has a "range of carbonation" and that the 1 oz/gallon that we use (4.5-5 ounces of corn sugar) produces between 2 and 2.5 volumes of co2, which is the average middle of the range for nearly all styles of beers. So if it works out the you have that "extra" quarter or half ounce of sugar because you only managed to rack 4.75 gallons of beer into the bottling bucket, it isn't going to be that big of a deal.....In fact most Americans, having grown up with fizzy yellow beers, actually prefers their beer slightly higher carbed than let's say the British, and we tend to be a little uncomfortable with beers that are carbed lower on the range, even with beers that are meant to be less carbonated. So more than likely you wouldn't notice it anyway.

Don't over think this....Relax. :mug:

Latest posts

Back