I want to go into All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowbeard

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to commit to all-grain-brewing. I used to brew the extracts over ten years ago and stopped some eight years ago, travelled and now I need a hobby!

It seems the new Brewzilla looks like the best value for money, the advice I seek is what accessories I should get with it?

And my favourite beer type to drink is the mighty Dunkel, a close second is a Pilsner followed by Pale Ales (if that influences my accessory decisions).

I looked into the coffee urn style BIAB units. All of them have what to me is a serious flaw. The element is sealed inside the bottom of the pot. When the element goes bad, and it probably will eventually, you now have to send your unit back for a rebuild. Or it is an expensive paper weight.

I went with the Unibrau because all the parts are pretty much generic and can easily be replace if they fail or are damaged.

It is more expensive than most of the urn units, but IMO well worth the extra $$

Check out the grainfather (if it’s in your price range). I absolutely love mine. Super easy to use, WiFi enabled with pre-heating so you can get a jump on brew day. The brand is bullet proof and will replace anything if you have problems. I know there a few threads floating around about the unit. Just my 2c

Really depends on your budget . I cant speak for the other models out there but I have a Grainfather as well and love it . However the new and larger version is way overpriced imo so it would be cheaper going with the Brewzilla if you want to brew that much. I brew 5 gallons only so the Grainfather is perfect.

I've got 3 brews on the Brewzilla 35L v3.1. So far the only issues have been user error. I've only done Manual brews, all Ales with no step mashing. Only extras I've purchased for is are the neoprene wrap ($35?) and the recommended bits (from Morebeer.com).
2' of H985 1/2" ID Silicone tubing for sparging and draining.
To connect included Chiller: (20') of D1710 1/2" ID beverage tubing (or whatever length required, (3) H950 hose clamps and (1) brass hose by thread adaptor (H508).
These items come in the Wort Chiller Connection Kit, add the kit to your cart and use code ROBOKIT at checkout.

Best value for your money is a $70 turkey fryer and a cooler mash-tun. Can go all-grain for less then $200. But I must admit the electric systems look nice if you have the cash to spend.

the advice I seek is what accessories I should get with it?

And my favourite beer type to drink is the mighty Dunkel, a close second is a Pilsner followed by Pale Ales (if that influences my accessory decisions).

a lagering fridge, and a temp controller for it.....

a lagering fridge, and a temp controller for it.....

Bracconiere hit it on the head here - I think that regardless of brew system, fermentation temperature control is the best thing you can do for your beer!

I'm not sure what Robobrew you were looking at, but I'd definitely recommend getting one of the models with a pump/re-circulation setup. This really helps hold mash temps well and reduces stratification, and just makes life easier in terms of transfers etc.

In terms of actual accessories - I'd definitely recommend either a Reflectix wrap or maybe the stock jackets for any 110v electric system - boil strength seems to be a common concern across them all. Some people find hop spiders handy in preventing clogging.

I have a Grainfather with around 100 brews on it over 2.5 years and have had great luck myself, but obviously it's a jump in price. I don't think there's a big difference in actual brewing capabilities, it's really all about the controller and App with the GF. Once you've got a library of recipes, it's just a few taps on the phone to program a delay start and push down every step (mash sched, sparge, hop additions, hop stand etc). I personally love that, but YMMV!

Take into consideration the grain bills that you’re going to be brewing also! I know a lot of the smaller systems have grain bill limits and can be close to maxed out if you’re looking to brew some heavy brews. I’ve been using my Brewers Edge Mash and Boil for quite a few brews now and am looking into upgrading to a bigger propane setup just to help speed things along as slower heat up times are starting to become an inconvenience.

Back