I think I can...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Preston

Reaction score
Hi
What would be the problems I would face in brewing with less water - then adding water after fermentation?
Thanks
Mark

Hi
What would be the problems I would face in brewing with less water - then adding water after fermentation?
Thanks
Mark
I wouldn’t do it after fermentation. I’d add it after the boil that way you can hit your volume and also use it to help hit your pitching temps. Some breweries actually do to help cool to their whirlpool temps quickly

I think you could ferment first then dilute afterward. Figuring out how strong and hoppy to make the wort might be problematic though.

I was concerned that the viscosity may affect it in some way - thanks for the replies -I'll let you know how it pans out

The challenge with adding ingredients after fermentation is avoiding contamination and oxidation. That's why it's not generally done.

There should be a good reason why it's necessary, and you'll need to be very diligent to add water in a sanitary, quiet way. This will not be easy, since even though you can boil the water first, you have to cool it, and it will uptake oxygen during that time. Even a gentle transfer will probably oxidize the beer.

I've read that the big boys that ferment a high gravity brew, then dilute to make the beer they want are using deoxygenated water for the dilution. I suppose on a homebrew scale you could try the LODO water preparation techniques.

Hi
Thanks
Mark
open a commercial beer ,pour it in a glass then add water. thats what you'll have . watered down beer. Add water to the wort before the boil to reach your target gravity ,shoot for about 0.004 pre-boil gravity below your OG target .Given youre doing a 5 gallon batch(6.5-7 gallon preboil volume). Thats what I get. I check every time and its been consistent.

What's your reason for doing this? There are a lot of potential pitfalls, from fermentation problems with the initial wort being too strong to hop utilization issues to efficiency issues if you're doing all grain, not to mention the oxidation potential.

Topping off after the boil is much less problematic than diluting finished beer. I assume you're thinking about this because you're limited in your fermentation volume?

You must use de-aerated water, and the only way to make it is in a pressure cooker at 250* / 15 psi for 30 min. I made boiler feed water in the Navy this way. In reading comments from professional brewers the LODO way does not get rid of enough oxygen to add to a final beer. Other then that and the osmotic pressure on the yeast (will have to over pitch yeast that can handle the alcohol created) The big guys augment the recipe because flavor changes. Keep us updated.

You must use de-aerated water, and the only way to make it is in a pressure cooker at 250* / 15 psi for 30 min. I made boiler feed water in the Navy this way. In reading comments from professional brewers the LODO way does not get rid of enough oxygen to add to a final beer. Other then that and the osmotic pressure on the yeast (will have to over pitch yeast that can handle the alcohol created) The big guys augment the recipe because flavor changes. Keep us updated.

Pressure cooker? Where does the extra oxygen go in a sealed container??

I was concerned that the viscosity may affect it in some way - thanks for the replies -I'll let you know how it pans out
2 replies in, it's already a done deal. The OP doesn't want to hear or say anymore.

I say, let's wait for him to tell us how it 'pans out.'

Latest posts

Back