I ran out of CO2, what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though it only happened twice, my local AirGas fill station did not charge me for a hydro test for my bought-elsewhere expired cylinders. And I've read on HBT that's not uncommon...

Cheers!

I've carried in old out of date ugly tanks and swapped them for tanks that looked new. The people at the gas place didn't blink twice or even give the old take a good look. It was like, brought is a bottle, get a bottle. But one time I brought in a nice aluminum bottle and got an old steel bottle with no handle, that's just how it work out. But since I've learned to look and ask when they are grabbing the bottles, and say "hey can I have that one instead?", they always comply with no grumbles.

Though it only happened twice, my local AirGas fill station did not charge me for a hydro test for my bought-elsewhere expired cylinders. And I've read on HBT that's not uncommon...

Cheers!
i think it really goes back to what i mentioned up above - that its really all about local conditions. bluephantom says he cant find a 20# swap, but we've got them like weeds. (hydroponics shops mainly, but also some brew shops) and virtually no one out here does fills, only swaps.

we also have all sorts of other random fees added on like hazmat, etc. that jack up our prices.

but overall, everyone seems to have differing experiences and opinions. which pretty much confirms that its really about what you personally see/hear when you go looking for a refill...

I ran out of CO2 once and made a mad ruch to my local HBS. They suggested I purchase a second tank to use with my Beer Gun and when one tank goes out just switch until I can get in for a refill. They also directed me to a local big box liquor store for emergency CO2 tank swaps. (about five dollars higher than the HBS.) I was told to watch the date on the tank and if it was close to needing recert, change it out to avoid the recert charge.
I place my tanks in a freezer prior to getting them refilled. Is this normal and if so why?

Latest posts

Back