I need help, badly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatorBeer

Reaction score
I've made 4 beers so far (amber, hefe, pale, stout) and each one has had the same weird flavor (it's not because they're 'green', they've been bottled for 3+ months). I've tried tweaking my methods but nothing seems to work.

I can't properly place the taste so I was wondering if someone could try these beers and let me know if you know what this taste is so that I can finally start making good beer.

I've read it and I can't discern any of those flavors in my beer. I don't know if that's because of my palate or what so that's why I'm requesting help.

without SOME sort of attempt to describe the taste, this thread won't go anywhere.

Unless you do find someone local to come over and drink it and tell you what's up. :D

I'm using bottled water, star san, steeping grains, temperature controlled fridge at about 66F, sarfale us 05 or 04, wort chiller and outside propane burner. I forgot to say, I'm willing to ship bottles anywhere if you're willing to taste and give me advice on what you think is wrong.

The thing about the taste is that I can also smell a common smell in all the beers. Its a weird funky taste that overwhelms the other attributes of the beers

I am no expert on off flavors, but if you want to ship me a bottle, I'll sample it and give my feedback.

One thing I want to comment on is the fridge being at 66*F. If that's the ambient temp of the air in the fridge, then the actively fermenting beer will be considerably warmer than this.

I keep my fridge at 62*F (ambient) and the fermenters get up to around 67*F or 68*F at the peak of fermentation.

Now. that only puts you around 72*F, which isn't terrible, but I would turn the temp down a few degrees on your next batch and see what happens.

Back