I need a few suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy3829

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a blueberry wheat or peach wheat ale, what are the best hops and yeast for thus type of beer. I have no experience with brewing a wheat beer. Thanks

For yeast, it depends if you want any wheat beer yeast character. Steer clear of the German wheat yeasts, which (IMO) are too banana-clovey for fruited wheat beers. Go with either an American wheat beer yeast (which is much more subdued than a German version; eg. WLP520) or a clean American ale yeast (eg. WLP001).

For hops, I'd suggest bittering hops only. You could use flavour/aroma hops that complement the fruit (eg. Amarillo hops at flameout could work well with a peach wheat), but for your first go I think you're better off seeing what the fruit brings to your beer. The fruit will also add a bit of tartness, so IME you don't need quite as much bitterness. Aim for 15 to 20 IBU's from a clean bittering hop. Alternatively, you could leave out the hops altogether and add a bit of lactobacillus with your yeast, to get a sour wheat beer (my preference over a non-sour fruit beer).

Latest posts

Back