I know writers don't always pick their headlines, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewch

Amateur Zymologist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
From my newsfeed.

Screenshot_20220612-114418_Chrome.jpg

😶🤦‍♂️

I saw that too. If I need to tell them apart I usually read the label.

I like good beer of all sorts. But my pallet probably isn't as discriminating enough to tell even a light ale from either of those.

What a stupid article. It's even written in the article itself. All Pilsners are lagers but not all lagers are pilsners. You COULD write a piece about how Pilsners are different from all the other lager styles (but no, that's not how it's written at all). It's mostly incoherent like a high school freshman research paper.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/tell-pilsner-lager-163000455.html
I wonder why commenting is turned off.

What's the difference between hatch backs and cars? What's the difference between peppers and vegetables? What's the difference between a good writer and a human?

I had to email the author or I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.

Last edited:
What a stupid article. It's even written in the article itself. All Pilsners are lagers but not all lagers are pilsners. You COULD write a piece about how Pilsners are different from all the other lager styles (but no, that's not how it's written at all). It's mostly incoherent like a high school freshman research paper.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/tell-pilsner-lager-163000455.html
I wonder why commenting is turned off.

What's the difference between hatch backs and cars? What's the difference between peppers and vegetables? What's the difference between a good writer and a human?

I had to email the author or I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.
A very large percentage of internet articles like these are written by bots. The "author" selects from a list of topics and sends the bot out to glean the internet for information and rearrange what it finds into a finished article. It used to be easy to spot a bot written article but the technology is getting better... they're just not getting smarter about the subject matter.

Rather than looking at the text of the article, maybe look at the URL for the article. 🤷‍♂️
Would you trust the Washington Post or Los Angeles times newspapers? Wired magazine? How about the Associated Press? All use artificial intelligence to write articles. A computer program is used by Wikipedia and millions of wiki entries have been written by their AI.

Can't tell if the author is a dumb@ss or a moron; Oh wait, I have a topic of an article I can write and sell to Yahoo...... :yes:
Thst is modern day jouralism. Find a video on YouTube and recap it or use Twitter as your source and call it writing instead of actually tracking down a story and talking to sources
FearfulBowedDiamondbackrattlesnake-max-1mb.gif

I get why you're all bashing the article/author, but I think that has largely to do with the view of beers as subdivided into styles. This is very common among homebrewers, but not necessarily among regular consumers. And honestly, even most breweries in Germany and Belgium (probably other places, too) don't seem to care too much about styles. A Bavarian brewery will usually label their beer just as "Lager Hell" or even simply "Lager", without any reference to the style "Bavarian Helles".

So while comparing Pilsner and Lager does not make any sense in the Michael-Jackson/BJCP view of beer, that view is not the only feasible view of the world of beer. And as long as breweries sell beer simply as "Lager", there's no reason you couldn't compare those beers to pilsners.

Back