1388 Wyeast Belgain strong ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rundorig76

Reaction score
I stared my first Belgain beer about four weeks ago using 1388 wyeast, using a batch we started a couple of days before brewing. It started out fermentation strong and then started and stop fermenting like I heard it would. It started out about 18.5 brix. I have taken three other readings since: 9.5, 8.5 ,9.1. Did we some how get an erranous second reading? How could the gravity go up and down of we never added or took anything out? Is this normal, it tastes great. It has just started to begin to clear well. How long should I let ot go before bottling?

Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer to take your readings? Also, did you make a starter and properly oxygenate your wort? Belgian beers typically finish slow, but after 4 weeks it shoudl be done.

If it tastes great and you're still reading 9.1 brix, I think you're probably using a refractometer, which is useless once you've pitched yeast. Alcohol throws off the readings.

I did use a yeast starter we did three days before and it was going pretty good. We kept it at a fairly constant 72 degrees. I made sure we stirred it up when we pitched the yeast but I did not use any other oxygenating supplies, I haven't needed to yet. I did use a refractometer, how does the alcohol throw it off? The brewing recipie book I based my beer off of has you repitching the yeast 3 days before bottling to ensure full carbonation. Thee book said it could take 2-3 months before bottleing and 1-2 in the bottle. This seems excessive, what do you guys think?

Where are you getting those numbers? Is that post conversion from the OG? 9.1 brix, uncorrected for alcohol content, is 1.036 or so.

Thanks for the info everyone, I put the brix into a correctionf formula and got about 8.6 abv. I am going to do another yeast starter and repitch the yeast 3 days before bottling like the recipie I am using as a guide says. It says it could take up to 2 months to carbonate. Does that seem like a lot? Or is some of that time meant to be another aging step?

Yea, a refractometer measures the amount light bends when moving through a solution of sugar and water. Alcohol has a totally different refractive index (bends light way differently than water) so you can't use the refractometer when alcohol is in play. MadScientist is probably using a converter. It's not perfect, but it gives you an idea if you're in the ballpark.

For post pitch readings, always use a hydrometer.

I just pitched a fresh batch of 1388 belgain yeast into the beer as the recipie book called for. Before I pitched again it had stabilized at 9.1 brix. Now two days after we added fresh yeast it is 6 brix and dropping. It is fermenting vigorously enough it blew the airlock off. How do I know when to bottle? I don't want the bottles to expload or to have the beer so foamy it undrinkable. Will I need to add priming sugar or is it producing enough CO2 already?

Well the book said 1.1016-1.017 but I just used it has a general guide for the style that I hadn't used before. The free brewing assistant I download said the version I actually brewed would be 1.022. Now the gravity went back up to 1.015 from 1.004. The extra yeast seems to have flocluated out well but there are still a stready stream of small bubble going to the top. I have ordered a set of narrow range hydrometers so I can measure more accurately. I just dont want this bacth to be over carbonated like my last batch of a different beer was.

Back