First time milk stout.. with tons of pics! :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPEtech

Reaction score
I moved to Katy, TX last year.. and it seems there's a TON of small brews around town (No Label is right down the street). So, I got into craft beer, and after moving into a shop right next to a beer supply store, I decided to try my hand.

I read up a good bit, and bought the Brewer's Best kit to get started. Couple of 6 gallon buckets, bottling bucket, cleaning tools, capper, hydrometer, etc.. I love stouts, so I decided to brew a milk stout, and add a bit of brown sugar to ramp things up a bit.

485564_4287481283931_3200641_n.jpg

I purchased a 30 quart stainless turkey frying kit from Academy for $39.99.. It works great for a 5 gallon batch.

Sanitized everything with Star San, and got to work.. Steeped my grain at 160 degrees. I was told any higher would leach tannins into the wort. I used distilled water with no conditioning. I realize now this was a mistake, but fermentation went just fine.. fingers crossed.

954814_4290295794292_694562144_n.jpg

LME, Lactose, Maltodextrin and Magnum hops boiled for 45 minutes. Then Cluster hops and extra brown sugar 15 minutes before the boil ended.

969603_4290296754316_1335439997_n.jpg

644297_4290561240928_430168081_n.jpg

The OG per the instructions was to be between 1.057 and 1.061. With the added sugar, it jumped up to 1.069 at 5 gallons.

941445_4290560800917_950353158_n.jpg

942954_4291088214102_979490106_n.jpg

I cooled my wort off in my double sink, using ice and letting things overflow into the other basin.. It took 35 minutes to go from boiling to 75 degrees F.

260276_4291086894069_1799292652_n.jpg

I started my yeast in warm water per the instructions, and poured it in. I capped off the bucket, and set it in the coldest/darkest room in my house, which stays at 68-70 degrees or so.

217363_4291089454133_1707620309_n.jpg

I let it sit for 11 days, as no sign of bubbling from the airlock was to be seen. Since I had modified the recipe, I started checking the gravity each day until day 14. The final gravity for 4 days straight sat at 1.019.

970678_4321905944526_1863141279_n.jpg

I transferred it to my bottling bucket, and let it sit for 24 hours before bottling.. I boiled a cup of water, and tossed my priming sugar in.. Let it cool in the freezer to 90 degrees or so before dumping in/stirring.

934784_4339000371876_1475244204_n.jpg

485450_4339001131895_1098226181_n.jpg

I used a spring loaded valve thingy that fills the bottle from the bottom.. handy little device for 3 bucks. :)

972226_4339001611907_775383586_n.jpg

My buddy Josh showing off his fine capping technique! lol!

578240_4339002851938_1486239885_n.jpg

And, the finished product..

382371_4339003771961_1625946139_n.jpg

46 bottles.. I left a bit in the primary, and bottling bucket, simply to reduce bottled sediment. I even marked the last 6 bottles towards the bottom because those may have more sediment.

The bottles are now sitting at 68-70 degrees, in a dark room, inside of Rubbermaid containers with lids on them.. in case of any explosions.

This was my first attempt at brewing, and I messed a few things up.. I did use distilled water on accident, but was told that if fermentation occurred, that it would be fine. The taste may be a little off, but we live and learn. I will say this.. The beer was very clean when I transferred it over to the bottling bucket. It smelled awesome! I tasted just a bit of it with the priming sugar in, and although flat, it did have a pretty good flavor. Just a hint of sourness.. or maybe not sour.. but "green", maybe? I also know now that fermentation produces heat, and I need to stabilize things better. I figure at high 60's room temp, I couldn't have screwed up too badly. We'll see in a few weeks I guess. :)

I was borderline OCD about sanitation.. I was told this was the most important thing to pay attention to.. and I did. I had spray bottles, and dunking buckets full of sanitizer. Any time anything touched my hands or the wort/beer, it would get dunked in sanitizer solution. Hopefully my OCD paid off.

Thoughts/tips? I also started a Strawberry/Mango Weizenbier this afternoon. :)

922881_4343984096466_202501359_n.jpg

Travis

Thanks for all the pictures! That's great. It really looks like you've had fun with that batch, and the beer looks great.

If you're looking for advice, I can give you a couple of simple tips. First distilled water is absolutely fine, and that was a great choice. Secondly, when you rack to the bottling bucket, it's preferred to mix up the priming sugar and water first, put that in the bottling bucket, rack the beer into it with the tip at the bottom so it swirls as it fills from the bottom, and bottle right away.

letting it sit for a day probably won't cause any issues at all, but it's harder then to mix the priming sugar/water well without stirring the beer and risk oxidizing it.

It's hot in Texas, but if you can set up a cooler/water bath with some frozen water bottles, it'd be great if you could cool the beer down below room temperature a bit. I have a "stick on" thermometer on my fermenters so I can see the beer temperature. You generally want to keep the beer at 65-68 while it's fermenting. It's not easy to do in a room that is warmer than that, but it's possible with a water bath. The beer will taste better if fermentation temperature is under 70 degrees.

I don't know where Katy is, but we spend winters on the coast, near Corpus Christi. I love Texas and wish I could stay there longer!

Give a complex beer like this extra, extra time to condition. Don't be disappointed at all if it doesn't taste quite right at 3 weeks or even 2 months. The milk chocolate stout I brewed back in February (now 3 months in the bottles @ 70-75*F) has just now matured to the point where I'm happy to share it with others.

I'm curious why you let the beer sit in the bottling bucket 24 hours before priming/bottling. The rest, Yooper has already mentioned (like ferment temps)

Thanks for the feedback guys.. :)

I was told that distilled water lacks the nutrients/minerals that are desirable..? Any truth in this?

I think I'm going to get a big rope handle bucket, and freeze a bunch of water bottles to toss in there before and after work. Hopefully that stabilizes the temp for future brews. Eventually, I'll try to find an old fridge to modify.

I let the beer sit in the bottling bucket, thinking any sediment in suspension would fall out a bit. But, it was pretty clean at the bottom. Thinking back, it didn't do much of anything, as I had to stir the priming sugar solution in. lol.. I'll try the method that you suggested from now on.

I will pop one open in 2-3 weeks, just because I'm impatient, and I want to try it. lol.. But, I will let it sit for several months before sharing with others. I figure this will be perfect just in time for football season, when the weather starts to cool off. So, it's normal for some off-taste to be present in freshly fermented milk stout? I don't have anything to compare it to, but it smells fantastic!

Thanks again, guys..

Travis

I was told that distilled water lacks the nutrients/minerals that are desirable..? Any truth in this?

........ So, it's normal for some off-taste to be present in freshly fermented milk stout? I don't have anything to compare it to, but it smells fantastic!

Thanks again, guys..

Travis

Well, yes distilled water lacks minerals- but the extract has all you need so you don't need any. Using RO water (from those corner "water machines") or distilled water is ideal for brewing. When you use all grain, you may need to add a teaspoon of calcium chloride, but that's not a big deal and it's not important now.

An off taste isn't normal in even very young beers, but I suspect you're picking up a bit of "tang" in the flavor from a warm fermentation temperature. It depends on the yeast strain, but some strains get fruity above 70 degrees or so, while other strains might be tangy or have a bit of a bite. That may fade quite a bit with some conditioning.

Ahh, I see.. So, as long as I'm using extract, it's no big deal.

I'd say it's more "tang" than "sour".. it's on the finish, and lingers a few seconds after a sip. It's more of a tart after taste than sour/bad taste. Hard to describe. Hopefully it smooths out.

So, after 17 days in bottles, I cracked into a bottle. I poured it at around 55-60 degrees, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it came out! :) The smell is definitely brown sugar, chocolate, and caramel. The taste is very coffee/roasty at first, and it leaves a creamy/sweet aftertaste that lingers for a good while. The sour/tangy taste is pretty much gone. There might still be a slight hint of tang, but it's maybe 10% of what it was when I bottled it. I suspect it will only get better with age.

944143_4364161280883_1738681932_n.jpg

I'm going to sit on this till football season.. which is another 2 1/2 months. That'll give me 3+ months in the bottle, and some damn good beer to drink when it starts cooling off a bit. I couldn't have asked for a better "first brew". :)

Travis

I was womdering how the BB milk stout would taste. I love Left Hand Brewing's milk stout & nitro stout. Might try a milk stout yet if I could find a partial mash version.

This one is still developing a bit, but it's really good. If you use this kit, add the extra brown sugar, and I would suggest a bit more caramel as well. But, for a out of the box kit, with the only addition being a little more sugar, it came out great! :)

Welcome to the hobby, and congrats on your first beer being a success. Your process looks great (except for the LSU shirt...)

I would consider trying a bottle every now and again right now. If it's good now, you might have it now and brew a 2.0 with any corrections you wanted in time for football season. Just a thought re: your pipeline.

LSU alum and N.O. native here, and there's nothing wrong with that shirt or glass!

New to brewing myself as well and loving it so far. I'm probably about 2 weeks from tasting the first batch

I've got a strawberry/mango weizen on bottles right now.. honey cream ale that's 7 days in primary, and a mini-mash recipe that I put together for a Vanilla porter. I haven't brewed it yet.. probably this afternoon. :)

Latest posts

Back