cleaning bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
I normally soak my bottles in oxy clean over night and as far as i know its just to get the labels off. then i run the bottles through a dish wash cycle using Star San. After that im ready to go, but this time around i am re-using 70% of my bottles from last time, so they still have no labels. should i throw these into the oxy clean solution with the ones that DO have lables? or is oxy cleaning labelless bottles over-kill/unnecessary?

You absolutely should be using a cleaner on them, even if you thoroughly rinse them. Star San is only a sanitizer, and you can't sanitize something that hasn't been cleaned.

You absolutely should be using a cleaner on them, even if you thoroughly rinse them. Star San is only a sanitizer, and you can't sanitize something that hasn't been cleaned.

yes you can........boil your "dirty" bottles in water and they will be clean and sanitized. just talkin about bottles that have the normal residual minute gunk at the bottom

yes you can........boil your "dirty" bottles in water and they will be clean and sanitized. just talkin about bottles that have the normal residual minute gunk at the bottom

Sure, you can. Not sure why you'd risk a whole batch when it's so easy to clean them. Boiling does not clean bottles. It might sanitize them, but you still have dirty bottles.

well it turns out i found a stash of labeled bottles in my closet, so i have them soaking now. but i'll keep all that in mind when i have no other choice. thanks!

i had anotheer thought, how important is temperature regulation after the brew is is bottles?

Recently bottling, I found out I like the clear Corona bottles (much mocked and laughed at cause they are clear) but, you can see scum in them to know that the wash did not get it all. There is something to say for clear glass. (keep it in a closed box away from light, and the light really does go out when you shut the door)

I have a small "steam" boiler I am thinking of setting up just to wash bottles. HOW to handle them thou? The heat eventually gets through the thick welding glove I use to powdercoat metal (normally about three steps from where I was going to sit it down).

Personally I would oxi-clean them. They don't have to soak for as long this time so you can make a smaller batch and rotate bottles into it. It might be overkill but since when was a little overkill a bad thing?

Back