Please critique this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. I am preparing for my first all grain. I came up with my own recipe for an "wheat IPA". I am aiming for something with a fruity taste...hopefully mango with a touch of banana and orange. I have some mosiac pellet hops as well as some calypso whole hops to put in the mix. I am hoping the naked oats help give a great shaving cream head as well as a touch of nut flavor to go with the fruit.

I am planning on doing a big 64 oz. starter to control the banana esters to minimum, and soaking the orange peel in vodka before adding to the secondary carboy.

So far...my beers kinda suck. Not bad....but not great by any standards. So I am hoping for some sound advice/opinons with this recipe. The learning curve for homebrew is low and long...as it takes so darned long for final results.

Pardon any misspelled words...i am drinking the fruits of previous labors as we speak.:tank:

It enlarges if you click on it. I am sorry for the initial small picture.I wish I could find a way to copy and paste from beersmith....not the most user friendly program by far.

I can't see it either, and it didn't enlarge when I clicked and waited.

The easiest way for me to post a Beersmith file is to just not open it. Leave it under the "line" in the middle, in the preview pane, and just copy/paste.

OHHHH. Okay. I had that pane(as in window pane) minimized and waaaayyy down at the bottom. Never even realized it was there really it's been like that since I installed the software. Thanks Yoop, and sorry to all for being so green.

Anyway here is the recipe. I was thinking about doing away with the flaked wheat and going with carapils as well.
5 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat - White Malt (Rahr)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess)
1 lbs Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (Weyermann)
9.6 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
0.3 oz Calypso [13.00 %] - Boil 50.0 min
0.5 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.5 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 20.0 mins)
0.5 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.7 oz Calypso [13.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min
0.5 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min
1.0 pkg German Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3333)
2.00 oz fresh orange peel (Secondary 7.0 days)

Thanks Yoop, and sorry to all for being so green.

Anyway here is the recipe. I was thinking about doing away with the flaked wheat and going with carapils as well.

Don't be sorry! It's definitely NOT intuitive.

I have to say, that looks good but I've never used any of those hops (or orange peel) so I just am not really any help at all I'm afraid! Except for saying that you don't need carapils with that recipe. You'll have crazy good head retention and foam stability with the wheat and flaked wheat.

OHHHH. Okay. I had that pane(as in window pane) minimized and waaaayyy down at the bottom. Never even realized it was there really it's been like that since I installed the software. Thanks Yoop, and sorry to all for being so green.

Looks pretty tasty. I'd do a couple things different, but it is more for personal preference.

1. I'd add the orange peel at flameout to sanitize it and probably bump up the quantity. This is how I typically do wit beers and enjoy the results.

2. I'd change the quantity of the wheat to maybe 50% of the total grist. It's going to be a hard mash to work with using that quantity of wheat. Definitely include rice hulls.

3. How many IBUs does this calc out to? What is your projected OG? I'd want to keep the OG:BU ratio on the lower end to keep it from being too bitter.

Don't be sorry! It's definitely NOT intuitive.

I have to say, that looks good but I've never used any of those hops (or orange peel) so I just am not really any help at all I'm afraid! Except for saying that you don't need carapils with that recipe. You'll have crazy good head retention and foam stability with the wheat and flaked wheat.
Thanks yoop. I was thinking about doing away with the flaked wheat and using carapils instead....just to lower the total wheat percentage down closer to 50% as wonderbread suggested. The hops are pretty new types...mosiac is said to be bold with mango while the calypso is said to have a pear/apple flavor.

Looks pretty tasty. I'd do a couple things different, but it is more for personal preference.

1. I'd add the orange peel at flameout to sanitize it and probably bump up the quantity. This is how I typically do wit beers and enjoy the results.

2. I'd change the quantity of the wheat to maybe 50% of the total grist. It's going to be a hard mash to work with using that quantity of wheat. Definitely include rice hulls.

3. How many IBUs does this calc out to? What is your projected OG? I'd want to keep the OG:BU ratio on the lower end to keep it from being too bitter.
Original gravity would be 1.053....IBU would be at 53. I'm kinda hooked on IPA's while I also like wheat beers as well. Since it's homebrew...why not combine them?:rockin:
Also, by putting the orange peel in at flameout....does than mean you rack it all into your primary? I usually try to leave the cold break behind so there isn't as much sludge in my primary.

Back