TSP & Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotownBrewDown

Reaction score
Recently a guy recommended I use TSP as a cleaner so I gave it a try. It seemed to work well, I used about 1/2 tblspoon with 3 gallons of water and rinsed very well. My question is this:
On the back of the box of TSP it says "NOT RECOMMENDED for glass surfaces. Do not let TSP solution to come into contact with glass."
So this has got me really worried since I used the solution to clean my glass carboy(Which my Beer is currently fermenting in..)
Did I just poison my batch or what??

As long is you rinsed the TSP out well and sanitized your equipment (Starsan) you should be alright.

It's not real TSP (trisodium phosphate) anymore. It is sodium metasilicate with the "TSP" name. It tends to leave a haze on glass if left on it too long. How long? It will take several hours to days, depending on concentration and other factors. It is a very good degreaser and dirt binder.

PBW is 30% sodium metasilicate and will exhibit those same effects.

Starsan is acidic and seems to be able to dissolve that haze.

I use PBW, "TSP", sodium carbonate (washing soda), sodium percarbonate (Oxyclean) or a mixture of those depending on what I'm cleaning.

For daily use, I still feel old fashioned washing soda, being cheap and cheerful as it is, a wonderful cleaner for most brewing equipment, including glass carboys and bottles. PBW is a bit more vigorous (oxygen action), and in hot water cleans the crap out of my plate chiller like nothing else.

Using a good brush in combination with any cleaner will give better results on glass than just swishing around or long soaks alone.
Now plastic needs to be treated more gently or it will scratch and make it impossible to sanitize later.

So treat your plastic with lots of respect.

TSP is trisodium phosphate. It still is.

TSP-PF (phosphate-free) is sodium metasilicate.

This is probably what the OP is talking about:
http://www.savogran.com/pdfs/TSP_PD.pdf

It can leave a film and supposedly if you leave it on the glass for a long time it can actually etch the surface.

TSP is trisodium phosphate. It still is.

TSP-PF (phosphate-free) is sodium metasilicate.

This is probably what the OP is talking about:
http://www.savogran.com/pdfs/TSP_PD.pdf

It can leave a film and supposedly if you leave it on the glass for a long time it can actually etch the surface.

Hah! I was not aware that original TSP was still available anymore. I thought it was all but outlawed (phosphate-ban). Some Phosphate Free TSP-substitutes are not always marked clearly as the Savogran TSP-PF. And finding MSDS sheets or ingredient lists is not always easy or conclusive.

I've used Lundmark "TSP" which contains sodium metasilicate. Perhaps other ingredients as well. It has the glass use warning on it, although you need 20/20 vision and a magnifying glass to be able to read the instructions and warnings.

Anyway, here is an HBT thread on homemade PBW and use of TSP, Oxyclean etc.:
home-made-pbw

Back