Leftover wort from brew as starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercules1

Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any rules of thumb to doing so. I saved about 1/2 a gallon of wort from my NE Brown. I put it in a jug and tossed it in the fridge. I was planning on using it as a starter. If I do so, will it be ok to use it in a lighter beer, assuming I decant the yeast after the starter has finished?

Just wondering if there are any rules of thumb to doing so. I saved about 1/2 a gallon of wort from my NE Brown. I put it in a jug and tossed it in the fridge. I was planning on using it as a starter. If I do so, will it be ok to use it in a lighter beer, assuming I decant the yeast after the starter has finished?

Sure! Of course, I'm assuming that you boiled it before sticking it in the fridge.

Ummm oops...I put it in a sanitized jug...then was planning to boil it before making a starter of it....no good?

Ummm oops...I put it in a sanitized jug...then was planning to boil it before making a starter of it....no good?

Not so good. Lacto can grow during the wort cool down, and a bit even at fridge temps. Next time, boil the wort, even briefly, before chilling and saving. I freeze mine.

If you taste it, and it's not soured, it may be salvageable if you boil it before using.

Back