Starter Wort Storage - Pressure cook the next day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanGC

Reaction score
Quick Question.

I'm looking to make a 6L batch of starter wort tonight, but I don't have a pressure cooker and I'm looking to get this done sooner than later. Can I make the 6L starter wort tonight, split it between my mason jars, then pressure cook them tomorrow? (when I get my hands on one).

I'm looking to propagate some can dregs, and I figured I can start a small pitch tonight, and sterilize the rest of the starter wort tomorrow (I need 5400 ml in total. stepping 100ml > 400ml > 800ml > 1600ml > 2500 ml).

Is this possible?

You really don't have to "make" it prior to canning unless you're making the starter wort from grain.

I just put the measured amount of DME in each of my quart mason jars, fill most of the way with water, cap it and give it a shake. The pressure cooker does the rest.

That's a good point, but I figured if I make the wort as one large batch, I'd be able to retain the same OG for all of my starter wort, this way, the yeast isn't stressing itself out when I step it up.

Back