Pinot Noir Kit too sweet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
I have a Williams Bros PN kit that i made back in Jan. I have racked to a secondary and topped off with some bottled PN.

I tried some last night, and its getting better but its still fairly sweet. Will the aging process improve this? is there a way to make it less sweet?

the only thing I have added was the Oak Dust that came with the kit initally..

I know it can take many months to properly age, just wondering if the sweetness will go away..

Frank

It shouldn't taste sweet. Has it finished completely, per gravity readings?

If it's finished, and at .990-.994, it's not going to change much. You could try adding some oak chips to counteract the sweetness, if you don't mind some oak flavor. Otherwise, a pinch (about 1/8 teaspoon, no more!) of powdered tannin could help out. And maybe a tiny bit of acid blend.

What I would do is pull a little sample and add a minute amount of tannin and acid blend and see if that helps. If it does, you could figure the amount for the whole carboy.

The reason is that if the wine is done, it's actually not "sweet" in that it has residual sugars in it. If just would be unbitter/unacid enough, if that makes sense. Wine has a balance of acid and tannin that give the wine "bite". If that's lacking, the wine could taste sweet even if fermented out.

like a dufus i completely forgot to take SG readings, when i put in the secondary it was in the low single digits... i do remember that.
it fermented for several weeks then after a week of no activity I racked to secondary.

thanks will try that.
will aging mellow out the sweetness any? its not super sweet but could use more bite to it..

like a dufus i completely forgot to take SG readings, when i put in the secondary it was in the low single digits... i do remember that.
it fermented for several weeks then after a week of no activity I racked to secondary.

thanks will try that.
will aging mellow out the sweetness any? its not super sweet but could use more bite to it..

You can take an SG reading now, just to make sure it's done. And then with that sample, add some tannin and/or acid blend.

Aging won't change the perception of sweetness.

I bottled mine last night, started in October. On my wifes first taste, she also stated that it had a "sweetness" about it. I tried some and can detect some residual sugars. This wine showed .99X (can't remember, but was dry) so I know it was done, it sat for 8 months with only 2 months on oak cubes. I think it could really use more oak flavor, that might mask the "sweet" taste. Tannins are what I expected from a pinot, kind of soft but enough to tell they are there.

There was less than one full bottle left over, so I put it in the fridge. Had a big glass (actually 2!) after it was cooled down and it almost seemed like the "sweetness" was gone. I do know that while sitting over top of the bottling bucket during racking, the alcohol/grape smell was very strong. More like a cab than a pinot.

I think this one will age well.

Took an SG reading 0.996 so i guess thats pretty close?
when you say 1/8 tsp of Tannin is that for the whole 5 gal??

I did have some acid blend and that did help, a small bit to the glass i had.
how much for the 5 gal?
i may add some oak as well...

thanks for your help :)

Frank

It shouldn't taste sweet. Has it finished completely, per gravity readings?

If it's finished, and at .990-.994, it's not going to change much. You could try adding some oak chips to counteract the sweetness, if you don't mind some oak flavor. Otherwise, a pinch (about 1/8 teaspoon, no more!) of powdered tannin could help out. And maybe a tiny bit of acid blend.

What I would do is pull a little sample and add a minute amount of tannin and acid blend and see if that helps. If it does, you could figure the amount for the whole carboy.

The reason is that if the wine is done, it's actually not "sweet" in that it has residual sugars in it. If just would be unbitter/unacid enough, if that makes sense. Wine has a balance of acid and tannin that give the wine "bite". If that's lacking, the wine could taste sweet even if fermented out.

Back