How thick is the sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitman73

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a noob with another silly question.

How thick is the sediment on the bottom of the fermenter? I'm brewing an extract brew, 23 litres.

I only worry because I am bottling after primary and I am hoping the tap is set high enough from the bottom so I dont fill my bottles with sediment.

Any help to ease my busy mind would be appreciated.

Deon

I'm going to say about 1 to 2 inches.

Why are you not using a bottling bucket with bottle filler attached? Bulk priming is time saving and ensures even distribution of sugar.

ForumRunner_20130527_222232.jpg

ForumRunner_20130527_222316.jpg

ForumRunner_20130527_222349.png

Ok, so you transfer beer into bottling bucket then run it out the tap from there? How do you get the beer into the bottling bucket?

hitman73 said:
Ok, so you transfer beer into bottling bucket then run it out the tap from there? How do you get the beer into the bottling bucket?

Using a siphon (auto-siphon is even easier) into some food-grade vinyl tubing. Keep the bottom of your racking cane or auto-siphon just above the level of the trub/sediment, even tilting the bucket/carboy a bit at the end to get a little more out, if needed/desired.

See here for examples/options for sale:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_59

Back