Had a Drake's Alpha Session Ale yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Went to Churchill's in San Marcos for brunch yesterday and saw a Drake's beer on the tap list. Haven't seen a lot of their beer down here and when I noticed it was a session ale that was supposed to have 50 IBU's I figured I'd better give it a try.

I'm not sure if it was 50 IBU's or not but the hop flavor was very prominent and unlike a lot of low alcohol beers I've had this one had quite a bit of body and was really well balanced. I'd just had a Drake's 1500 a couple weeks ago and so far I'm quite impressed by what I've tried from them.

So here's a question for the HBT folks - have you had a chance to try any Drake's (especially the Alpha Session beer)? I looked for a recipe and though they have info posted on their site it is for a Tasty McDole recipe so I'm not sure if it is supposed to be a clone or just his session recipe. Anybody seen a recipe for this one? It's summer time and we all want a lawnmower beer once in a while!

I've noticed more Drakes on draft around here too. Wonder if they're expanding Southward more, or if it's just a coincidence. Love their 1500.

I work not 15 minutes from Drakes. With a few one off exceptions every single one of their beers is good, some are great.

I'm having this beer at Hoffers in La Mesa right now -- just tapped. Great session beer. Just by taste the Tasty recipe looks pretty dead on from the session beers I've made.

Cheers
T

Ahhhh, Hoffer's... I'm gettin' old so I have to wait until Friday to visit them. Hope they have some left!

Looks like I'll have to give the Tasty recipe a shot, thanks!

I work not 15 minutes from Drakes. With a few one off exceptions every single one of their beers is good, some are great.

I will definitely be keeping an eye open for more of their products. So far I've only seen Drakes on draft down here but maybe a few Bombers are out there somewhere

Palm Springs liquor in La Mesa had 3-5diff drakes bombers last time I was there. It's one of the best bottle shops in the county.

I will definitely be keeping an eye open for more of their products. So far I've only seen Drakes on draft down here but maybe a few Bombers are out there somewhere

All the IPAs are very good. Aroma Coma comes out in July and it's an easy drinking summer IPA. It's up there with the absolute best I've had in that style. Drankonic Stout and Robusto Porter are very solid as well.

Went to Churchill's in San Marcos for brunch yesterday and saw a Drake's beer on the tap list. Haven't seen a lot of their beer down here and when I noticed it was a session ale that was supposed to have 50 IBU's I figured I'd better give it a try.

I'm not sure if it was 50 IBU's or not but the hop flavor was very prominent and unlike a lot of low alcohol beers I've had this one had quite a bit of body and was really well balanced. I'd just had a Drake's 1500 a couple weeks ago and so far I'm quite impressed by what I've tried from them.

So here's a question for the HBT folks - have you had a chance to try any Drake's (especially the Alpha Session beer)? I looked for a recipe and though they have info posted on their site it is for a Tasty McDole recipe so I'm not sure if it is supposed to be a clone or just his session recipe. Anybody seen a recipe for this one? It's summer time and we all want a lawnmower beer once in a while!

Drake’s Alpha Session – 3.8% ABV, 50 IBUs — Our hoppy session ale. Light and refreshing with 2-row barley, Maris Otter, and a touch of C-45 malts, but hopped up with classic West Coast hops and an ample dry-hop of Simcoe, Citra, and CTZ for intense flavors and aromas of pine, citrus, and grapefruit. We call it a NorCal Bitter.

You should be able to come up with something out of that.

4 pounds 2 Row
3 pounds MO
12 oz Crystal 45

.5 oz simcoe at 60
.5 oz Colombus at 30
.5 oz Citra at 10
1 oz Simcoe at 1
1 oz Columbus at 1
1 oz Citra at 1

Whirfloc at 5

Mash for 60 at 148
Sparge at 168

Just my quick thoughts.

Palm Springs liquor in La Mesa had 3-5diff drakes bombers last time I was there. It's one of the best bottle shops in the county.

That's one of my favorite bottle shops, I'll have to ask where they are next time I stop in there.

Resurrection!!!

So yeah I had this for the first time at sublime ale house. Google the recipe and here is the close I'm thinking about doing. Hope the site does t mind me linking where I got it from.

Has anyone else brewed this? What was your experience?

Drakes Alpha Session APA
www.crafterpours.com
Profile: HomeBrew recipe for a Session Style American Pale Ale, similar to Drake’s Alpha Session. Low ABV pale ale with bold hoppy flavors and moderately high hop bitterness. Light nutty malt and sweet malt flavors. A quick brew which can be ready to drink in 3 weeks.

Ingredients:

Malts

4 lbs Maris Otter

3 lbs Pale 2-row

10 oz. Crystal 45

Hops (Pellets)

1/2 oz. Bravo 15%a, 60 minutes

1 oz. Citra 11%a, 15 minutes

1/2 oz. Citra 11%a, 5 minutes

Yeast: White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast

Dry-Hops: 1/2 oz. Simcoe, 1/2 oz. El Dorado

Instructions:

Mash all grains for 1 hour at 152 degrees.

Sparge at 170 degrees.

One hour boil with hop regimen above.

Ferment at 63-68 degrees.

Rack to keg or secondary and age for 2-3 weeks. Add dry hops for the last 7 days.,

Malt:
American 2-Row Barley,
Maris Otter

Hops:
Bittering- American Bravo,
Whirlpool- Citra
Dry hop: Simcoe, El Dorado, EXP 01210

Yeast:
White Labs 001

Original Gravity: Alc/Vol: 3.8% IBUs: 50

Anyone know where to find EXP01210??

i've never had this beer but i'm super intrigued...

Rivnin - where did you get the recipe. It's close to what I put in the post above yours. I just ordered everything today so should be brewing next week.

I haven't heard of the hop you are looking for though.

from the drakes beer site

http://drinkdrakes.com/beer/alpha-session/

so it helps a ton with that. Homebrewing recipes vs commercial don't always add up, so i'm sure you're super close too, or move the citra to a really long whirlpool hop.

Was looking at costs to brew this, and it looks like it'd be under $20,so it might be a go for me soon.

Was going to do like
4lb MO
3lb 2row

.75 bravo @60
1 citra @long WP
1 simcoe DH
1 el dorado DH

going high on DH because i cannot find the EXP hop that is listed... might be a commercial only hop... so unless it's super unique on something, between yours or mine, we would get close.

EDIT

it's pretty funny, their stats do'nt mention C45, but the description does. so i'll toss some in.

I grew up right across the street from where the Drake's taproom is in San Leandro, CA. I happened to be in town for beer week and they had just tapped a barrel aged Hoppocalypse 3xIPA. That's the only beer I've tried from them. It was delicious.

Back