Kolsch lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshan15

Reaction score
So I am working on a Kolsch kit from Midwest Supplies and have had it in the fridge at about 40 defF for a week now. This is after 3 weeks of fermenting at mid 60s. FG came out right at 1.010. I have been reading some things about a diacetyl rest at room temperature before bottling. Should I bring it up to room temperature for a couple days or bottle right from the fridge? Did the laggering and 3 weeks of fermentation already accomplish this?

Thanks

You should be fine bottling at fridge temperature.

The diacetyl rest is for lagers that ferment in the 50F range. The standard technique is to raise the temperature to around 60 or 65F for the final 1/4 of fermentation. Since your fermentation took place at 65F or so, there is no worry about diacetyl.

Diacetyl rests need to be done as primary fermentation is winding down, but before it's finished. Doing one now would be nearly pointless. As long as there's no diacetyl, there's no need to do one. If there is, then you have other things to worry about.

Back