"How to Brew" 3rd ed. Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motleybrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So before I invested in the 3rd edition of how to brew the other day, I'd read bits and pieces of the free one(1st edition) online.

I'm reading the third edition and have already noticed several changes. My question is, how accurate is this edition? It seems the changes made between the first edition (2000) and the third edition (2005) were pretty significant. Has there been many significant changes/advancement in the last 6 years, or is that about as accurate as it gets?

I realize that the folks on this board are using tried and true techniques and recipes, and many are using the cutting edge, so I realize things are always changing. So I guess what I'm really asking is there anything in the book that isnt "current"?

I can't answer your question, but I must say that I do have the book and have referred to it a lot.

B

The basics of brewing really haven't changed in 6000+ years, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The only major things that might be missing from a 2005 version would be the following, and you can do a search on the forum if you want to research these topics:

The long primary v. secondary debate
Brew in a Bag techniques

TopherM said:
The basics of brewing really haven't changed in 6000+ years, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The only major things that might be missing from a 2005 version would be the following, and you can do a search on the forum if you want to research these topics:

The long primary v. secondary debate
Brew in a Bag techniques

Yea, I knew it wouldn't be THAT significant, but after reading the online edition, then reading HBT, I noticed a ton of differences in time, etc. Everyone also said to get the third edition. Noticed a few changes, but wanted to see if there was sections I should skip and use the forum instead.

So far, I've easily doubled my knowledge in just the first few chapters

A lot of those differences are personal preferences. The book will start you off with a great foundation and set you on the path of developing your own preferences/routines. None of the information is out dated per se, but there are a lot of different ways of doing things described in the book.

Back