How much does flavor change during bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyrmc23

Reaction score
I just bottled my first three-gallon IPA and after filling the bottles, I sampled the beer. It wasn't terrible but had a sour, sweet taste at the end that wasn't my thing (and I don't believe that was by design in the recipe). So my question is how much will the taste change during carbonation and of course being cold, rather than flat and warm? Also, do you think it would have been better to sample early on in the bottling rather than trying the gunk at the bottom?

I have had some that changed a fair amount for the better after bottle conditioning. Most don't change much other than gaining carbonation. But, you should not have a bad taste. It should taste pretty much like a flat warm beer. I do think that flat warm - before carbonation is a bit worse than flat warm after carbonation. That may just be my perception though.

I also think that if you got "gunk" you are not really tasting what went into the bottles.

I have had some that changed a fair amount for the better after bottle conditioning. Most don't change much other than gaining carbonation. But, you should not have a bad taste. It should taste pretty much like a flat warm beer. I do think that flat warm - before carbonation is a bit worse than flat warm after carbonation. That may just be my perception though.

I also think that if you got "gunk" you are not really tasting what went into the bottles.

The last part is what I'm hoping for. I tried some last week and it tasted good. I think it was towards the end of the batch and was a little off. I guess we'll see, right?

...wasn't terrible but had a sour, sweet taste at the end ... do you think it would have been better to sample early on in the bottling rather than trying the gunk at the bottom?

It's good to taste your wort/beer at different stages. But it sounds like what you tasted was warm uncarbonated beer with a lot of yeast in suspension(?). That's not necessarily representative of what the final beer will be like.

Let it carbonate, chill it for a week or two, then carefully pour it to not disturb the sediment.

I agree with little river your first taste of yeast bite. The beer will be better. Also after a week of chilling it will be better than before that week, so if you cheat and want to taste it earlier at least let it chill for 24 hours.

Back