How much DME do I need for that starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Most of us have our set amounts, but maybe this week you're brewing a lager that needs a giant starter. Or you want to build your starter with a different gravity from the norm. Or maybe you want to make your starter with a weird sugar source.

My DME calculator has you covered

This is something I've wanted for a while and finally calculated out. Feedback is most definitely welcome.

-Joe

Quick update: scroll position is now saved so you don't have to scroll down to see your results. Tables were cleaned up a bit.

Next a cookie will save your settings so you can use them later without re-typing.

-Joe

Linky no worky. Did you move it. I mean it is kinda old but I woulda liked to have seen it anyway.
Bob

You need a calculator for this? All you really need to do is move a decimal point.

i.e. a 1.67L starter needs 167 grams of DME.:mug:

Yes, it's lazy, but it is nice to have because I do not always like using starters with a 1.039 gravity, which is basically what your "rule of thumb" measurement provides.

Back