How much beer line do I need for soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylo_k2008

Reaction score
Hello. So I am in the middle of my kegorator project. I am building a 4 tap "keezer" and I would like two of the taps to be soda. I am not set on any kind yet as I am sure I will experiment on different kinds to find the ones I like. Anyways, I just a have a few questions on the set up.

How long and what size should the liquid lines (beer lines) be for kegging soda in a sod keg?

What temperature is the best for kegging soda?

and

Does the pressure or the beer line size differ, depending on the type of soda I am force carbonating.

Any answers help, but I am mainly curious on the beer line size so I can go buy that, hopefully today. Let me know, Thanks!!! :ban:

I'm still new so please bear with me if I get some I this wrong. I've started with soda and I hope to soon move into beer (I drink more soda than beer). Searching around here should answer some more of your questions better as I've learned how to correct most of my mistakes from reading here.

Soda requires a higher pressure to carb because it has no yeast. So I'm looking at a two regulator system for myself.

I've also concluded from my searches that a longer hose from the keg to the tap will be required for the soda to help reduce foaming and the subsequent loss of carbonation. I'm hoping others might chime in about a gizmo that will help relieve the need for longer hose as I've yet to hear about it used for soda.

I hope that helps guide your searches or someone replies with more informed information as I would like to know too.

Soda is usually carbed and served at about 30 psi at 40 degrees, while beer is usually about 12 psi at the same temperature. In order to avoid the soda shooting out like a firehose, I've found that 25-30 feet of 3/16" line is required. For beer, 5-8' is generally sufficient.

Back