How long to wait on yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camonick

Mediocre brewer... Expert drinker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In my quest to clone Guinness Draught, I decided to try liquid yeast to see if that was the missing link. Long story short, I ordered a pack of White Labs Irish Ale yeast to try. UPS hosed me on the delivery and I received it 5 days later than expected. It was shipped with 2 ice packs and wrapped in bubble wrap. When I received it Friday it was cool at best but definitely not cold anymore. I put it in the fridge. It is a pure pitch package and I pitched it into 3 gallons of 70° wort yesterday after letting it warm to room temp. I didn’t make a starter mostly because I don’t have the equipment and White labs claims you can direct pitch a pack into 5 gallons (mine’s 3 gallons... better right?)
It’s been 24 hours and I don’t see any signs of fermentation. Wort is 68°. How long do I let it sit before giving up and pitching an emergency pack of Nottingham?

Check for krausen and if there isn't any, check the gravity. If the gravity hasn't budged, pitch your Notty.
It’s in a glass carboy so I can see everything that’s going on. I don’t see a layer of krausen yet. There were some floating bubbles on the surface, but they looked more like residual foam left over after I siphoned from my brew kettle last night. I’m very familiar with what the progression of fermentation looks like and I’m just not seeing it yet. I’ll let it ride a while longer rather than monkey around trying to take a gravity sample.
I’m just not sure what to expect from my less than perfect experience.

I've had single liquid yeast packets take up to 3.5 to 4 days to get rolling (with no starter-just pitched directly into cooled wort). I typically use dry yeast...sometimes rehydrate and sometimes don't...and have done starters on liquid yeast before. Some higher gravity beers will require either liquid yeast with a starter or two packs of liquid yeast with no starter ($$$). Basically, if you're using a liquid yeast pack (especially ones that might have had a rough trip) and have time to do a starter...do a starter and give them a kickstart.

I've had some really similar shipping experiences. Its frustrating as hell. I also brew in that volume range and never have made a starter, even with pretty dubious circumstances. A lot of my liquid direct pitches ( not pitching slurry), tend to take a bit over a day. I tend to pitch around 5-7pm, and often goto bed the next night without much action ( maybe a couple surface bubble/islands) and wake up the following morning to a formed krausen. Never used that strand, though. And I use more smack packs than white labs. So obviously, YMMW.

It’s been 24 hours and I don’t see any signs of fermentation. Wort is 68°. How long do I let it sit before giving up and pitching an emergency pack of Nottingham?

Personally, I wouldn't even think about re-pitching until at least 48 hours in. And then I'd think about it for a while.

In my quest to clone Guinness Draught,

Are you serving them with a nitro setup? I think you could nail Guinness (base beer) to a T, but without the right nitro blend serving, it's just not the same beer.

Since it's meant to pitch directly into 5 gallons and you have 3, it should be ok despite taking too long to get there. You may just want to order some stuff to make starters next time. You don't need anything fancy. I just make a 1/2 gallon starter in a 1 gallon glass jug and shake it every time I walk past.

False alarm everyone. Thanks for all the replies. Apparently I’m just a nervous Nelly... she took off sometime in the night and is ripping pretty good now.
9B9EC58C-EEC3-474E-A398-295E2395CC6D.jpeg

Are you serving them with a nitro setup?
Yes, I serve with a stout faucet and 75/25 beer gas blend.
Now my next problem is temperature control. We had a large storm last night and lost power. It has yet to be restored this morning and I don’t know when I’ll be able to turn my fermentation fridge back on... hopefully it doesn’t get too warm.

Back