How long to ferment a 1.050 beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
I brewed a beer on December 30th and it had a final gravity of 1.050

Its been fermenting with omega labs tropical ipa yeast and it's been fermenting under pressure but no more c02 is being produced and everything has dropped down

Should it be done?

I would give it 14 days in primary and then bottle or keg. People are going to give you much more detailed answers that what I'm telling you to do, but really 2 weeks for a 1.050 beer assuming everything went well is probably good.

You did mean an ORIGINAL gravity of 1.050, right?
Caveat- you really can't tell for absolute certainty that a fermentation is finished without a series of stable SG readings. But with the time period you mention and krausen dropped, she is probably done.

I would give it 14 days in primary and then bottle or keg. People are going to give you much more detailed answers that what I'm telling you to do, but really 2 weeks for a 1.050 beer assuming everything went well is probably good.
Yea I am just impatient have no home brew atm.

I took a gravity reading and it's at 1.012 now
So 5%

The yeast i used does have a higher attenuation at 82-90 so I would think it be stronger

Give it two more days and if it's still at 1.012, package it.

If it drops at all, wait 2 more days and check again.

You may want to raise the temperature if you have that capability as well. Once you taste diacetyl you will be careful to make sure you never taste it again!

Back