How long between end of fermentation and kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've adopted the "We don't need no stinkin' secondary fermentation vessel" strategy so I'm letting everything sit in the primary. The Tilt hydrometer says that active fermentation stopped three days ago. I'm going to dry hop an ounce of Cascade in two days or so.

So how long do I leave the beer before kegging? Should I give the Cascade a week in the fermenter and then cold crash? Less? More?

If it's relevant, the beer is an all-grain Blackened Brutal Bitter I bought from MoreBeer.

I think you're missing the best part of the Tilt....I would have dry-hopped already. With the Tilt, you know when fermentation is slowing and about where it will stop - go ahead and dry hop when you think its within a point or so of final gravity, or wait until it's steady for a few days if you prefer. I wouldn't bother waiting 3-5 days after fermentation is complete, it just ends up taking longer from brew-day to drinking.

Dry hop at fermentation end, and let it dry-hop 3-5 days or a bit longer if you like....I prefer not to go much longer as I don't think it adds any benefit. The biggest thing that would determine it for me that this point is whether it is cleared enough for me or not, but a cold crash will drop the hops right out.

Some of my IPAs are grain to glass in 10 days including dry hopping, and the Tilt really helps that process by knowing how it is going and what the curve is (though I did it before the Tilt as well)

This is a recent beer I did. The dip toward the end between 9/25 and 9/26 is where I jostled the fermenter during dry-hop (you can see the label 'DH on the temperature line). Note that I did not keep the Tilt in this beer to the end.....I retrieved it to put in another beer about 3 days before kegging.

1601945065887.png

Thanks! It’s my first batch with the Tilt (and only my fourth in the last few decades) so I’m still feeling my way. I’ll dry hop tomorrow, give it a few days, then cold crash. I wanted to make sure there wasn’t some sort of aging period needed after fermentation.

- Johndan

I think you're missing the best part of the Tilt....I would have dry-hopped already. With the Tilt, you know when fermentation is slowing and about where it will stop - go ahead and dry hop when you think its within a point or so of final gravity, or wait until it's steady for a few days if you prefer. I wouldn't bother waiting 3-5 days after fermentation is complete, it just ends up taking longer from brew-day to drinking.

Dry hop at fermentation end, and let it dry-hop 3-5 days or a bit longer if you like....I prefer not to go much longer as I don't think it adds any benefit. The biggest thing that would determine it for me that this point is whether it is cleared enough for me or not, but a cold crash will drop the hops right out.

Some of my IPAs are grain to glass in 10 days including dry hopping, and the Tilt really helps that process by knowing how it is going and what the curve is (though I did it before the Tilt as well)

I like 3-4 days for a dry hop. Much more and I have notice grassy flavors. I skip a cold crash and just go right from primary at fermentation temp to a purged keg. Everything settles in the keg once chilled and it’s clear and carbed in 10 days or so, minus the first pint. If your are going to burst carb and try to serve quickly, I’d cold crash first.

Thanks! It’s my first batch with the Tilt (and only my fourth in the last few decades) so I’m still feeling my way. I’ll dry hop tomorrow, give it a few days, then cold crash. I wanted to make sure there wasn’t some sort of aging period needed after fermentation.

- Johndan

Aging on a beer like this isn't necessary and usually is not (unless you're doing strong beers or stuff with some adjuncts and perhaps a few other reasons). You do need to give time for the yeast to clean up after themselves, but this will happen through the dry-hop. You'll get a feel for it.

In any event, if fermentation is done and dry hop is done (or there isn't a dry-hop step), as long as you have an empty keg, just age it in there if it needs it.

In any event, if fermentation is done and dry hop is done (or there isn't a dry-hop step), as long as you have an empty keg, just age it in there if it needs it.

^^ what I was going to say.

I never leave beer sitting in fermentors for any longer than absolutely necessary. Once fermentation and dry-hop (if applicable) are done, it's over to the purged keg as soon as I can manage. Doesn't mean I necessarily start to drink that keg any sooner, it just means that the beer is safe and sound in a nice and clean and mostly-O2-free vessel, while my fermentation gear is freed up for the next batch.

Thanks for the advice. I do have an empty keg so I'll transfer it this weekend when I have some spare time.

Having a sampling port on my Spike CF5 makes gauging the keg-ability of the batch much easier. I wait until the batch is almost at FG (Tilt hydrometer), do a 1-2 day diacetyl rest, then cold crash until it tastes 'ready'. Most average between 14-21 days, and usually the last few days is to line-up with a weekend.

Before using the conical and Tilt hydrometer, I would just take Wine Thief samples every so often and make sure the FG had been stable for a week or more.

Latest posts

Back