How Does This Carbonator Work.. And Can It beBuild One :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Classic

Reaction score
Firstly, a thanks to my mac for bugging out and posting the thread whilst still correcting the tittle and writing the post.

Anyway, I'll try again...

I have found this particular in-line carbonator which would naturally cost a few arms and legs. I love understanding how something works and how it could be made and am interested in the theoretical and practicalities of how something performing similar to this could be assembled, DIY style to a relatively small operational standard.

Here's the machine: http://www.vigoltd.com/catalogue/product.aspx?node_id=492e4af7-0d7b-4122-a899-2350375a208a

I see 3 main components: an electric control panel, a larger stainless steel tank which I assume holds the beverage product (and where I assume the CO2 mixes with the beverage), and a much smaller tank with a blue top which I guess is the CO2 and perhaps a pump.

I imagine the biggest challenge here would be the electrical side, i.e the control panel and its functions. So secondly, could a manual version of this be made where the CO2 is hand released into the steel tank?

Look forward to hearing what people think of my 'soon to ridiculed for fantasy' scheme.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
I think I get th concept here. One pump draws the product in, the product is continuasly circulated through system whilst receiving CO2 being fed in.

The main problem I concieve is that for soft drinks, I need a very cold temp (1-2 degrees C) or I lose everything to foam during filling (although I'm sure a sealed counter pressure filler would help a little).

Here, once the product has been taken out whichever chiller it's in, the liquid temp will quickly start to rise whilst this system is carbonating for at least an hour.

This guy built one: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLazijjgpU[/ame]

Personally I just set the regulator to 35 PSI for 2'ish days, then drop it down to serving pressure.

I had started my own build based on the Blickmann, ended up buying their kit anyway. Far superior carb stone than what ir readily available alone. I now also use it to oxygenate my wort otw to the fermenter as well.
I added inline temp monitoring so i could adjust the pressure if it heats up during the process. Pretty slick.

The problem with the Blichman and the one I built which is identical is, you have to constantly increase the pressure once the keg achieves equal pressure of the incoming Co2. Once it equalizes, it no longer puts Co2 in the liquid. So, looking at a chart and setting the PSI and walking away is useless. I've read, and spoke to people who use the Blichman who found the same results. The only way to achieve the proper carbonation level is to do it the old fashioned way, set the PSI, and leave it sit for several weeks.

The only way to achieve the proper carbonation level is to do it the old fashioned way, set the PSI, and leave it sit for several weeks.

I don't have any experience with the Blichmann product, but I don't think we lead people to believe it takes several weeks. I find that with a 24 hour carb at 30 psi and 36 degrees F, then back down to 14 psi, my beer is fully carbed within a week.

That 24 hours gets it most of the way to carbonated, and it only takes a few days after that to get it balanced out to normal carb level.

Back