How do you like to get maximum flavor and aroma from high AA hops without too much bittering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am curious how y'all look to get a lot of hop character without going overboard on bittering. I'm trying to get the most out of my Citra (13.3%) and Mosaic (13.7%) while keeping IBUs in the 40-50 range.

I'm reading up on hopbursting and whirlpool temperatures, and my head is spinning! This article even hints that a whirlpool which is too long may have an adverse effect. Never considered that, but it makes sense... If you are extracting oils, it's probably hot enough to drive them off eventually, too.

My current thought for this pale ale (-ish) brew is about 2 oz in the boil for 10 minutes (~30 IBU) and 3 oz whirlpooled at 165F for 20 minutes (~10 IBU). (Since I have an electric system I can also dial in any whirlpool temperature I want.)

If I boil 2 oz for 5 minutes instead of 10, I buy back 10 IBU, which I could use to increase the amount of hops at any stage.

In any case, there would be no 60 min bittering addition, and I plan to dry hop during active fermentation.

I appreciate any ideas you may have!

Max. 1 oz of low AA% hops at 5 minutes ( Motueka, Amarillo, etc. ), quick cooling to 160F, add anywhere between 4 and 8 oz hops for 25-30 minutes, and transfer. For under 50 IBUs, you can go for 1 oz Motueka at 5 minutes, and 3 oz each of Citra and Mosaic at 160F.

Then just add something like 1 oz at 5 minutes and the rest in the whirlpool. You will still get lots of bitterness when whirlpooling with 5-6-7 oz hops. The hops added at 5 minutes will also add a bit, as it takes a few minutes - depending on your system - to cool down the wort from boil temp down to your desired WHP temp.

Back