How Do You Figure Pressure/Time of CO2 Volume for Partial Carbed Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Long story short......

I racked some brew off into a 2L bottle to hopefully sample tonight after I keg the rest. My garage is 64F, so I (without consulting a chart) put the 2L bottle to gas at 10psi for 5 minutes. Realizing my error, I bumped the pressure up to 15psi and let it sit 3 more minutes.

It's in the fridge now which will cool it to 40F. I have a feeling I may still be undercarbed, so how do I determine how much more pressure and time I'll need to fully carb this 2L of beer?

If it helps, the beer's an IPA. I used one of those carb caps that has a stone attached to it.

TIA

I dont know how many volumes that would have given you but as far as I know co2 get dissolved into the beer and then equalizes . This volume depends on the temp and psi you set. I would think by hitting with co2 for that short of time it will get dissolved and probably not be as carbed as you want. I'm not what you would call a science guy so I'm just taking a stab . It's an interesting question though so I'll be waiting to see what someone who is more capable in answering has to say. Those bottles are plastic ? I assume they're hard when you pressure up . I would think if the bottle stays firm you may be in business. If it gets soft you may have to burst again.

I put it back on c02 for about 30 minutes at 10psi after my first post was made. The beer had been in the fridge for about 3 hours, so it was much colder than the 60F temp of my garage.

I didn't get a chance to drink it last night, but sampled a little bit before I went on to bed. Still somewhat flattish, but tasted good. I had read here that you can carb a 2L bottle of brew in about 5 mins if you have a stone. Evidently, that's not the case.

In a non-sciencey observation, is it safe to see once there is no bubbles coming out of the stone, then it's carbed? What if you shake the hell out of the bottle? A 5 gallon corny will carb up in about a week with the set and forget method, so I'm assuming 2 Litres of beer should be carbed much sooner if done the same way.

Back