How do i connect this racking cane to fermenting bin tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeroydavid

Reaction score
i bought a fermenting bin from the local home brew shop, and she gave me the racking cane in the photo, she said that i would just put one end in the tap, and the other end in the bottle, am i doing something wrong, or do i need something extra please, the end that i put in the tap just falls out and is not a tight fit, and the other end that she said would go in the bottle, the round thing at the other end is too big to go into a bottle.
236370378_1201133823725254_5375616760107485729_n.jpg
233974182_2991913381026897_3888803952150232945_n.jpg

That does look like some sort of racking cane. But what you need is a bottling wand.

LOL, the thing on the end is so it doesn't pick up the trub from the bottom of the fermenter.....you have it backwards....not trying to be a dick, but just saying....

if it's solid plastic, then you need tubing to attach to it, stick the thing with the suck down not up nozzle in the fermentor, then siphon off the yeast cake....

Hey man, drives me crazy that your LHBS didn't spend more time with you and explain things better. That does appear to be a racking cane, but you probably don't need it.

What you need is a bottling bucket, a 4' to 5' piece of vinyl transfer tubing, and a bottling wand. Cut a 4" piece off the transfer tube and keep both pieces. Sanitize everything and connect the long transfer tube from the valve on your fermenter and put the other end in your bottling bucket. Then boil your corn sugar in water, let it cool, and pour it into the bottling bucket. Now open the valve on your fermenter to transfer the beer. Try not to splash to prevent oxidizing the beer. Close the valve when all the clear beer is transferred, leaving the yeast cake in the fermenter. Now connect the 4" piece of transfer tube to the valve on the bottling bucket. Connect the bottling wand to the other end of the transfer tube. You're ready to bottle. If you have any leaks from the tubing, you can use hose clamps for a tighter fit.

When filling the bottles, try and get close to the top of the bottle. When you remove it from the bottling wand, you should have the proper fill height. Cap, condition, and enjoy.

There are other ways to bottle, but this method is hard to mess up. Going directly from the fermenter to bottle is a bit trickier IMO.

sometimes i come off as harsh, but i'm just trying to be helpful....

what you have is designed to siphon off the yeast cake, getting as little as possible. the bottle filler you press to the bottom of the bottle after the siphon is started, and it releases the beer into the bottle, then when the bottle is full. the spring thing will stop the flow, and cap, repeat....

Back