How do I adjust hop schedule for no chill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
I don't chill the wort after the boil which means that the late addition hops don't become late addition hops anymore. How can I modify the hop schedule to account for this?

Side questions:

1) Anyone dump the hops from the kettle to the fermenter? Would having the hops in the fermenter have some of the same affects of dry hopping? Especially from the very late addition hops?

2) The hop schedule during the boil depends on the wort being at boil temperature in order for the hops to do what they were intended to do. How far does the wort temperature have to drop for they to no longer have this effect?

I don't chill the wort after the boil which means that the late addition hops don't become late addition hops anymore. How can I modify the hop schedule to account for this?

You'd be best to figure out how long it takes your wort to cool to temps where the hops don't isomerize. A lot of what I read online says 80°C is the magic temperature below which hops don't isomerize as quickly.

Side questions:

1) Anyone dump the hops from the kettle to the fermenter? Would having the hops in the fermenter have some of the same affects of dry hopping? Especially from the very late addition hops?

All the time. I'm still trying (slowly) to perfect my hop schedule with each brew but I'm quite happy dumping any 10 or 15-minute additions in to my fermenter before transfering my wort. Wort is usually between 40 and 50°C when I transfer, depending on time of year.

2) The hop schedule during the boil depends on the wort being at boil temperature in order for the hops to do what they were intended to do. How far does the wort temperature have to drop for they to no longer have this effect?

See above, but 80°C seems to be the magic number I've stubled across. No idea whether that's completely true of not, but it works for me. If you can calculate how long it takes your wort to drop to this temp, you can figure out how to adjust your hop addidtions. I use Brewer's Friend and set it to assume one hour.

Aussie Home Brewer has a few good discussions on no-chill if you want to read up some more. https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/hop-isomerisation-temperatures.68163/

Fast answer is you can't. Flavor hops have some of the most aromatic oils boiled off before the wort is cooled. With no chill, if you add the late addition hops the oils mostly isomerize before the wort cools and much of the aromatic oils boil off. Dry hopping can't be the same as late addition hops because the wort is cold and none of the oils get boiled off.

1. I dump everything into the fermenter. After the wort has boiled everything is considered complete so there is no more to be extracted from the break material or hops. No, it isn't anywhere close to dry hopping.

2. There is no set temperature where isomerization stops but by 170F most of is has and that can be considered the stopping temperature. If you hold the temp at 170 long enough you probably get some more isomerization.

From all that above, if you want to make beer with late addition hops and want the beer to taste as it should, you don't do it no-chill.

Isn't the boiling off mainly caused by the bubbles of the boil, stripping the liquid of the oils?

If so, the no chill should still work, aroma wise.

I keep my hops in socks, which I remove after 10 to 20 minutes after flame out, this makes it easier to guestimate the ibus from late additions.

Isn't the boiling off mainly caused by the bubbles of the boil, stripping the liquid of the oils?

If so, the no chill should still work, aroma wise.

I keep my hops in socks, which I remove after 10 to 20 minutes after flame out, this makes it easier to guestimate the ibus from late additions.

I know this post is from earlier this year. WIth the hops in a sock that get removed before dumping into the no chill cube, do you still add time/adjust or stick with a normal schedule since the hops are removed with the sock?

I know this post is from earlier this year. WIth the hops in a sock that get removed before dumping into the no chill cube, do you still add time/adjust or stick with a normal schedule since the hops are removed with the sock?
If the hops are out of the liquid, no further adjustments should be necessary.

Back