Auto-siphon mod related questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't know where to post this, so since auto-siphons are the primary tool in this section, I figured it would be here. I also did a few searches on what I'm wanting to do, but no luck.

I have the basic auto-siphon that came with my Northern Brewer starter kit, the 5/16". I had an idea of putting a small section of tubing on the racking cane part with a male thread end to accept a swivel nut. Then I could use two pieces of tubing that would screw to the racking cane. One that's just bare tubing that I would lay flat in the bottom of my bottling bucket, and the other would have a swivel nut on the end for a liquid ball disconnect for keg transfers.

The issue is, I can't find a male connector to use on the racking cane end. I have plenty of extra swivel nuts, so thought maybe just use that and a female to female coupler. I didn't have any luck looking for those at my Lowe's or Home Depot. Any ideas on that?

The only other options I see is either buy a second auto-siphon or a second racking cane for my siphon, but I'm confused on the sizes. I see 5/16" (Northern Brewer) and 3/8" (Brewmasters Warehouse) that look like the same thing. Also, is the "pump" part of the auto-siphon the racking cane, or is the phrase 'racking cane' just another name for an auto-siphon? Thanks for any help.

It depends on what you are looking to achieve. Siphon technology is pretty straight forward. To me, any mods to what is currently available would be a waste of resource as opposed to the costs and efforts involved.

Look for the male piece at a local hardware store. That is where I buy all those fittings. Both lowes and HD don't have them buy the tiny Ace Hardware does.

Why use an auto-siphon for keg transfers? Use CO2 and push the beer.

I'm talking about when racking from primary fermentation (bucket or carboy) to a keg, not from another keg. Instead of pulling a dripping hose from the keg after transfer, all I would have to do is just unhook the siphon from the liquid ball lock once the fermentor was emptied.

You will need to leave the top off the keg when filling. I think you will create a pressure lock. What goes in, must come out. I like the idea but i dont think its worth the effort either. But i say try it and let us know if we are wrong.

You don't have to leave the top off, just open the pressure release or put a gas pop-it on with nothing attached.

Latest posts

Back