Hornindal starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Made a starter on Tuesday from harvested yeast. Returned from work yesterday and the starter had leaked out the flask.
This morning it's really foamy, to the point where when shaked it comes out the top.
I've made many starters using Hornindal and this has never happened. The color is also a bit off.
Think the starter is ok and should continue or dump?
Doesn't smell bad so I don't think anything is wrong w it.
The second photo is from the bottom.
20191205_043030.jpeg
1575542133005.jpeg

Making a starter was your first mistake. This yeast doesn't ever need a starter. If it smells fine it's fine.

I harvest 50ml from each starter I make. This was about the 4th Gen and never had any issues from previous starters.

Kveik is a monster. I fed a 6 mo old starter and it took off within 1 h. I could tell it would be fine as the yeast was white/tan in color and still well compacted not brown and loose like dead old yeast. Smelled fine too.

Add a drop of fermcap s to your starter to knock down the krausen.

I also make overbuild starters, and with most yeasts, when done on a stir plate the CO2 is expelled so I only get over flow occasionally. I also do 1250 ml in a 2000 ml flask,any more and you can't stop the over flow without ferm cap.

I've got some old Hornindal from October 2019 and plan on making a starter for a brew this weekend. I've already read where underpitching is best but each time I've used this yeast (fresh), I've always made a small starter and pitched at normal ale amounts.
I've no doubt this yeast survives a long time but should I simply make a vitality starter for 6-8 hours or let it go thru it's full course and cold crash then pitch?
I want to get the best aromas and flavors from this yeast.

I've always made a starter but since this yeast is a beast you probably will be ok without a starter.
Most people only pitch a tablespoon and I can see how that would work.
Vitality starter probably will not hurt.

Thanks, that's the plan.
Where outside of NOLA are you? Metairie here.
Last time I used hornindal I fermented upper 90's and I got huge pineapple. I don't mind pineapple but it was almost overpowering. I prefer 85 range.
I tried Voss too but didn't care for it.

My last one was fermenter at 95-98 and I got more mango and rotted fruit (but in a good way). I'm going to go for the mid 80's this time as well.
I'm also going to chill it down to the 50's when done to dry hop and not do any dry hopping at high temps. I'm not sure some of the hops are best used at those high temperatures.

Next time I use kveik I'll have to remember to DH in 50's-60's. Last time I did it in low 90's. Maybe that contributed to the pineapple.

Latest posts

Back