Hops tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskram

Reaction score
I just got a lb of Cascade hops delivered to me from hopsdirect. Since I'm sitting here at work smelling these lovely hops, and can't have a beer, I decided to steep some hops and make tea. It's quite bitter, but sugar fixes that right up. I like it.

People at work here think I'm crazy.. lol

Eskram said:
I just got a lb of Cascade hops delivered to me from hopsdirect. Since I'm sitting here at work smelling these lovely hops, and can't have a beer, I decided to steep some hops and make tea. It's quite bitter, but sugar fixes that right up. I like it.

Wait a sec, you took some hops into work with you to make tea? At work?

I'm half tempted to try this :D

LupusUmbrus said:
Wait a sec, you took some hops into work with you to make tea? At work?

I'm half tempted to try this :D

They were delivered here, so I decided to make use of them.

I put about 4 hops cones/buds/whatever into some hot water and let them steep for about 10 min, then strain them out with a fork. Add sugar, ignore the other floaties, and enjoy.

I found some interesting info about the medicinal uses of hops: http://www.wildcrafted.com.au/Botanicals/Hops.html

Who knew the humble hop could do all that ? Come to think of it, since I've been drinking, I haven't suffered from dysentary, sleeplessness, skin lesions, undue anxiety, or had problems with milk flow. Hops are the wonder drug. :D

Eskram said:

Next thing you'll know he'll be puttin a few cones between his cheek and gum.
:D

Man Eskram, I order 5 pounds from hops direct and didn't realize how much space 5 pounds of hops would take. I have them in my converted chest freezer and they are becoming quite a pain.. in the way of my beer.
Shouldn't have order so much.

Sudster said:
Next thing you'll know he'll be puttin a few cones between his cheek and gum. :D

You think that will work? Hell, I've even thought about smoking them. :eek:

Man Eskram, I order 5 pounds from hops direct and didn't realize how much space 5 pounds of hops would take.

Yeah, I know your pain. I didn't realize 1lb would be as much as it is. I had to toss some food to make room. Hops > food, right? Good thing I didn't order 5lbs like you. :p

But I thought about it...

El Pistolero said:
Don't do it! At least not at work. :D

What if I'm at home? :confused: It's ok then, right?

Oh ****.. Those aren't hops! Whoops.

Eskram said:
Hell, I've even thought about smoking them. :eek:

LOL...reminds me of....

If you guys haven't seen the Dogfish Head movie, Lupulin Madness GO download it and watch it. Some of it is lame, but the first part with Ethan Lipschitz (aka Bryan Selders, lead brewer at DFH) is freaking hilarious. Its only like 12 minutes and the download (on a cable or DSL connection) is pretty fast. Well worth the time. You'll be quoting Mr. Lipschitz for weeks. :D

Latest posts

Back