Stupid Brewing Tricks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
Had a nearly flawless brew day, making 10 gallons of Hefeweizen with the Weyermann floor malted wheat and pils.

Great efficiency, hit target volume - everything went as plan, protein rest everything great.

Until I tasted the wort.... hmmm.... bitter for a hefe.

Looked in the trash, one of the packets of what was supposed to be hallertau was magnum!!!

Will be coming in at about 25-30 ibu and 1.057 OG.

Dang, did I waste the day for nothing?? wonder how it will taste. I THINK an ounce of hallertau went for 60 and the magunum .75 for 30 and .25 for 15. Was supposed to be 12 ibu now a little more than double.

Wonder what it will taste like

Might as well dry hop it now as well...

Thats not a bad thought actually. I have a couple ounces of hallertau.

I have made some stupid brewing mistakes in my time - like leaving the valve on the brew kettle open as I transfer wort - but this is a new low for me. The packaging was the same just grabbed them from the freezer. Top one German Hallertau - bottom German Magnum, just being lazy and in a rush can cost you.

7 hour brew day and I was looking forward to my typical 12 or so IBU hefe, we'll see how it turns out.

I had an Amarillo hefe not long ago that was pretty good. I think dry hopping ay.least half the batch is worth it. Might turn out fantastic

We have a local brewpub that produces what they call "Hopweizen". They take their standard Hefe and dry hop the heck out of it. Very tasty.

There are several wheat IPAs that are pretty popular - Lil Sumpin sumpin comes to mind. I agree - dry hop it and see what happens!

Yeah, think I will dry hop half (5 gallons) of it for sure.

So 1 ounce or 2 of hallertau?, might as well keep with the all German theme.

Hopped wheats are some of my favorite beers. Just go with it, it will be just fine.

Back