(hopefully) Re-engaged brewer in Oakland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
Hello all,

I brew in Oakland, CA. From about 2001-2003 or 2004, I was very avid about it, brewed and read about brewing all the time, and was even president of the local club.

But in 2004-2005 or so, I kind of burned out, and a change in housing made brewing logistically difficult for awhile, and so my interest largely waned. Since then I've been lucky to squeeze out 2-3 batches a year, and most of those haven't been that great.

Well I recently got bit by the bug again, and have become seriously re-obsessed. Haven't fired up the kettle yet (that will be next weekend), but in contrast to past years I've been voraciously researching, preparing and planning.

A couple of Google searches led me to this forum and HOLY #%@! there is a lot of information here! Back in the day all I really was aware of for ongoing brewing discussion was Homebrew Digest, and that was like maybe 20 messages a day or something. Here there's thousands upon thousands of awesome threads (and posters with tens of thousands of posts, that's amazing).

I've learned (and re-learned) a tremendous amount lurking here just the last 10 days or so. Lots of my old assumptions are getting adjusted. I think that my techniques may change a lot, though for now I'm gonna KISS and only change one or two things from my standard methods (specifically those related to yeast and fermentation).

Anyhow, who knows if this'll last. I hope it does, I used to really enjoy it. In fact the last couple days I've repeatedly asked myself why did I stop doing this again???

Anyhow thanks for all the great info and advice.

Welcome!

This forum is a great tool. I can only imagine what it was like to have started brewing in the 90's or earlier when it sounds like most of the information you got was subjective views from experienced local brewers but now there is a wealth of information and trading of information that everyone can access!

Back