Hop Water, anybody make this before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A work friend of mine knew I was into homebrewing and brought me a bottle of this. They have a website here.

IMG_4168.JPG

It's actually pretty delicious. It is just water and hops so no calories. I found the flavor/aroma to be something like lemon water, but with a really nice taste of hops in there.

Might be fun to make a batch of this and have it on tap. Have any of you ever done something like this? Anybody got any recipe ideas?

Be aware of the fact that the lower the sugar content of the liquid, the better the alpha acid isomerisation will be. I guess the hop water is mainly dry hopped or maybe just heated to 60c or something in that range to keep it from getting too bitter. I would just try to steep very little citra in a cup of 60c warm water, cool it down and try to see where it's at!

BeerSmith says .25 oz in a 5 gallon batch will get 16.8 IBU for a 60 minute boil. (Using citra)

I’m on mobile right now and haven’t figured out how to change recipe size or boil length. When I get some time at my laptop later I’ll work out some alternate small batch options.

I’ll probably just use some hops I have in the freezer and start experimenting. Should be fairly quick to run off a batch and test out recipes. I’ve got some PET carbonation caps. That should work nicely to force carb and test out.

I finally got around to giving this a try. I choose to test things out in a 2 liter PET bottle. I made a 3L batch just to have a little extra.

Recipe was:
3L Reverse Osmosis water
.05 oz of Citra LupuLN2 for 15 minute boil
.05 oz of Citra LupuLN2 at flamout

Chilled in water bath to room temp, then filtered through a coffee filter, bottled, chilled, and carbonated to 30 psi.

The uncarbonated sample right after brewing was a little harshly bitter. With no malt to balance it the estimated 11 ibu hit pretty hard.

After about 3 days and carbonating it became quite tasty. It is still strong with hop flavor. The bitterness has faded to a pretty nice level. Mine is translucent looking very much like lemonade with a slight greenish tinge. The hop aroma is strong and reminiscent of grapefruit and some piney notes.

While enjoyable, it is still fairly strong in flavor. I find that a 6 oz glass is plenty. On the next batch I think I will half the amounts and see how that turns out.

I've been meaning to make a new batch for a while now. I was planning on just halving everything. I assume 'fo' stands for flame out? I have not done that.

An interesting note on the first batch. I went out of town for a week and had a few glasses of that batch left. After sitting for a couple weeks the bitterness was mellowed nicely. We will see how my half hopped batch tastes, but I'm thinking that first one might have been closer to the mark. I just need to let it age for a week or so.

Has anybody experimented making Lagunitas Hop Water? Not the stuff with THC just the plain no alcohol, no calorie water - think hop flavored La Croix. Here is what we know:

• Carbonated water
    Citra, Equinox, and Centennial hops
    Lactic acid
    Nutritional brewer's yeast
    liquid stevia
    “Natural flavors”

They claim the yeast is there for hop biotranformation but nutritional yeast is dead so I suspect it just adds a beer smell/taste.
Not sure what natural flavors they are referring to or even if that is an additional ingredient or simply refers to the flavors of the other ingredients.

I’d love to have some of this on tap for non drinkers and “spacer” beverage to have between beers. Before I start experimenting hoping someone here has started the processe.

I tried this last weekend. Basically did the following
  1. Brought water and immersion chiller to boil for sanitization
  2. Added the juice of a lemon to bring down pH
  3. Added in 12grams of hops (Citra, El Dorado, Galaxy at 4grams each) while starting to whirlpool and killing the heat.
  4. 5 minutes later I chilled down to 100F
  5. Began transfer into keg and added a strainer to catch hop particulates.
  6. Added gelatin to drop out any additional hops
  7. Added 45psi of pressure and started to chill to 38F
All in all, it's delicious. I would probably want a smaller micron filter for the hops going into the keg so maybe one of the "bouncers" or a small hop spider but I don't mind the little bit that's made it through. Good first run!

What does everybody use for carbonating the hop water at home? Any recommendations for a small device that I should get?

Just tried this recipe, hope it turns out nice. I was planning on carving it like a beer, but it dawned on me that seltzers are usually higher carbed. Thoughts experience?

I have been brewing this once or twice a month for 10 months. Here is what I got. 1.) Pre boil 21 liters of water (20 min) of your choice to remove oxygen. 2.) Cool to 175. 3.) 10ml lactic acid. 1 fresh squeezed juice of a lemon. 3 grams of fresh peppermint. A pinch of brewers yeast or 1/4 teaspoon. 1 oz of crystal hops, Fine hop sack or spider all above in at 175 for 30 min remove hops cool add to keg. 30psi 2 days drop to serving pressure and enjoy. Taste is bright lemon, mint for a cooling and alcohol like effect and the hops are soft and not bitter the hop stand give a lot of the flavor without the all the bitterness. The yeast I put in for mouthfeel and I think the hop oils attach to the yeast. Its been a great addition to the dinner table.

Anyone else making hop water?

I made up a batch last night, 5 gallons of carbon filtered city water. Half a campden tab in case of chlorine. Lemon juice to lower pH down to 4.5 or so. 10 minutes boil, cool to 170, 2oz hops (Grüngeist and Idaho-7 since they were in the freezer and freebies). Cooled overnight in the keezer and hit with 50psi and rocked for 5+ minutes this morning. Not bad, pretty sharp and I expect it'll smooth out after a few days of sitting on co2. I'll turn it down to 25-30psi and leave it for a few days. Should be easy to let off some carbonation if it somehow gets overcarbed.

Sounds like I overdid it with the hops :D

I'll try the brewer's yeast next time.

I’ve been digging the Lagunitas Hop Water but it’s pricey and too many bottles.

If you have a sodastream or a can of unflavored sparkling water, there’s a much easier way to make hop water and you can mess around with different hops easily. Process:

1/4 oz hops (using ekuanot)
160 degree water
one cup French press - you could use a tea bag
Carbonated water (could use a can of water)

Brew hops just like a tea
Add about 3-4 tablespoons of tea to carbonated water.

Enjoy!!!

I like that you get a little bitterness in this method as well - Lagunitas is all aroma.

5565EC30-7074-4BE6-874E-99E6C0EBF0E8.jpeg

Back