New Home Purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjacket

Reaction score
So I am about to start looking for a new home in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I have been living in a condo so I am expanding space.

I know this will be way down on the "must haves" list - but what do you suggest I look for in a home that would help the home brewery?

What things in your current home do you wish you had? . . .

I am sorely tempted to say playboy models.....Oh wait :p

I pretty much do not want for anything brewing so I will say my cellar for storing beer after carbed. Constant 45 degrees in winter and 55-60 in the summer.

A 3 car garage is nice. My house was new construction and I had them wire a 220 on a preferred wall of my garage for my welder. Would have been much more expensive to put the outlet in that location after the fact.

3 car garage or a detached 2 car garage/shop.

Mud room or laundry room with a deep sink/utility sink. A utility sink in the garage is also extremely handy.

220V 30 to 50 amp circuit in the garage or shop.

For the house in general:

Closet space. You can never have enough closet space especially if you have a woman in your life.

Storage space in general. Be it floored/finished attic or something else.

Usable counter top space in the kitchen. It always looks bigger if you look at an empty house. Once you throw a couple things and a toaster on the counter you start running out of room fast.

Oh and Gas!

Natural gas stove, gas water heater, a gas dryer, gas fireplace if you are into that.

Look for no homeowners association. Don't need anybody trying to outlaw your brewing activities.

This. Or regulate your grilling/bbq'ing. Also, look for updated electric - you want to run your flat screen TV and kegerator/fermentation chamber, and an old electric system might not hold that up along with the regular fridge, etc.

A place to do your boils outdoors that is sheltered from the rain. I only use my propane burner outdoors no matter what the temperature is, but I don't use it in the rain. Oh for a carport..LOL

bosco

you won't find many homes with a basement there....would be nice to have one for a place in the house with stable temps and some "darkness". also, the tap water temps won't be very cool, so won't be able to cool down your wort with it very quickly.....so...make sure you have access to plenty of ice?

Back