Wow, water really does make a difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hank1105

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I started brewing this past August, 6 extract brews under my belt. The last two brews (both IPAs) I brewed using Poland Spring. My water sucks, thought I would spend $7.50 on (3) 2.5 gallon jugs. Let me tell you it was beyond worth it. Just tapped the keg for one of the IPAs after carbing for a week, real smooth. Obviously this is logical considering water is the most used ingredient with brewing. Anyways, Happy Easter and enjoy your brews.

Hank

Yup! When I started messing with water chemistry I saw huge improvements. You may actually be able to make your tap water usable. Do some research on water chemistry and call up your local water authority, ask for the biochemist (or equivalent), and request they email you a copy of the most recent secondary standards. That will give you all the data you need.

I tried distilled water for my 1st PM beer,& it worked fine. Then went back to spring water,which at Giant Eagle is 79c per gallon. Remembered 2 local spring water sources,& now get spring water for 10c per gallon. The yeasties seem to love it,& the flavor at bottling was good from the PM batches I've been doing. Can't wait till the latest ones are ready to sample...

It is great that you were able to recognize the difference right away like that. Like you said water is the number one ingredient so selecting a good one is important!

For sure, I initially was going to try to use the tap water and add chlorine tabs, to remove the chlorine, but still it would be tricky. Worth it to just buy filtered water. This was also my first use of irish moss, really cleared out the beer nicely.

Same here, I began using a .5 micron Whirlpool water filter(The green one meant for under sinks) for my brew water on my fourth batch, and couldn't believe the difference it made. My other 3 batches before it were...eh...OK at best(Of course, there were other factors contributing to that besides water quality. Fermentation temperature, full boil, Etc) but that fourth batch made me say "Whoa, what a difference" I don't even bother with Campden tabs anymore, I don't feel I need to.

Good to hear about the irish moss,Hank. I ordered the small jar of Fivestar Super Moss from midwest. 1/4tsp @ 10 minutes it says. I've been getting wicked chill haze from the fine crush I use for PB/PM BIAB at fridge time. I was hoping the super moss would clear it up without any head/body issues Palmer mentioned in his latest work that someone brought up...

See if you can find a Water Mill Express or a Glacier water distribution center (we have those near or at grocery stores). You can get 5 gallons of good water for $1, or 1 gallon for $0.25.

Find the source like I did & get it way cheaper. Can't beat 10c per gallon,25c per 2.5 gallon container. We have Cherry Knoll & Artisian Springs out near the speedway.

Latest posts

Back