Hi from Newbie and Fermenter Explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

low_gravitator

Reaction score
Hey all,

I finally decided to join. I've been perusing this site off and on for a while for info.

I decided my first fermenter explosion merited joining so here I am.

I brewed my first lager 3 days ago. This is my 4th homebrew.

Anyway, I checked it last night just to see how the temp was doing and it was fine (running at 52ish degrees give or take 2 degrees). That was yesterday evening.

Checked it this morning with the stinking suspicion that it might have exploded (I was using a different airlock (S-curve type) than I normally use and wasn't feeling all too confident in it's performance) and sure enough I smelled beer and saw a trail of liquid leading away from the fridge in my garage.

So I cleaned up the mess, cleaned and sanitized a new airlock (3 piece type), cap and blow off tube, dropped the tube in a bucket of sani and I think I'm good to go. From reading on this forum, it sounds like I'm probably ok contamination wise.

BTW, I was going to drop the temp probe into the bucket to get a more true temp of liquid inside the fridge. Think it'd be ok sitting in sani for extended period of time without eventually damaging the probe?

Any thoughts, comments?

Thanks,
lg

Before 1 Lager Explosion.jpg

Before 2 Lager Explosion.jpg

Before 3 Lager Explosion.jpg

After 1 Lager Explosion.jpg

3airlocks.jpg

OK get a blue pack and tie it to the side of the carboy. Place the probe in between the carboy and blue pack. The temp probe did not read the carboy temp.

You are probably fine. Blow off tube at the start of EVERY fermentation. If your probe is for temperature control you should tape it under a folded washcloth or something to insulate on the side of the carboy so you are measuring the temperature of the wort as it is fermenting. Even more accurate is having the probe in a thermowell.

OK get a blue pack and tie it to the side of the carboy. Place the probe in between the carboy and blue pack. The temp probe did not read the carboy temp.

Does this really work? I would think the blue pack would not insulate at all. They are made to be frozen and keep things cool. I would think it would quickly equalize to the ambient temperature thus COOLING the probe.

You're probably safe now.
Did you cut that triangular shaped tippy off the bottom end of the 3-part air lock? It's another area that could get clogged.

You probably know this already, but don't lift carboys by that handle unless they are empty. And even then. I find their purpose very deceiving.

You're probably safe now.
Did you cut that triangular shaped tippy off the bottom end of the 3-part air lock? It's another area that could get clogged.

You probably know this already, but don't lift carboys by that handle unless they are empty. And even then. I find their purpose very deceiving.

I did not cut off the airlock tip yet but thanks for the advice. I will.

Also, didn't know about lifting a full carboy by the handle. I assumed that was the point of the handle. I feel deceived also. Harrumph. Haha

Does this really work? I would think the blue pack would not insulate at all. They are made to be frozen and keep things cool. I would think it would quickly equalize to the ambient temperature thus COOLING the probe.

Not to sure. Guess R value material to use for it like Styrofoam. I would think as long as the tip of the probe touches the carboy, should work with any material. I use corny kegs for ferment. I usually place a blue pack in between two of them then put the probe there. I figure the blue pack will keep the air out.

Edit. In the picture the probe is no where near the carboy. The carboy heated quickly (from the yeast activity) causing quick fermenting / over active lager yeast.

I did not cut off the airlock tip yet but thanks for the advice. I will....

Wait until the next time you brew to cut that tippy off. Your big krausen has subsided, and you don't want to risk infection by tinkering with the airlock now. Let it ferment and condition for at least 3-4 weeks in the carboy, then rack to lager. You may remove the blow-off tube after fermentation has calmed down, although some leave the blow-off in and never bother with an airlock anymore. Downside, the blow-off vessel takes up extra space.

Just looked closer at your carboy cap. Some people prefer these over the drilled bungs. I use them for racking (cane in center, HEPA air filter in the side). Your blow-off tube will release all pressure now. Airlock is just there for the show now.

Back