Hop Selections for German Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy_Sanchez

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m planning on brewing a German Pilsner soon. Going with either Weyermann or Best for my Base malt. Hops I have stocked in my freezer are Perle, Northern Brewer, and huell melon. Going for a traditional German Pilsner. All German ingredients. Just wanted some opinions on the hops I have. I may buy some saaz but I want to add some hop completely.

Definitely Saaz. Select Spalt works well also. Go for balance against the malt, no more no less. Very little late addition.

With my Kolsch and Pilsner Urquell clone (both use Weyermann German Pilsner malt), I shoot for roughly 17 IBU at 60 minutes and 3 IBU at 5 minutes. Works wonderfully.

Perle was genetically created to make a more disease resistant Hallertauer Mittelfrüh. It's a pretty good hop and mega popular in Germany (newer breweries, not the old traditionals). It might be just my taste buds, but I get an almost minty hint from it that i'm not fond of. I don't sense that in other Nobles.

I brew my german pils to the upper end of standard with perle or hallertau tradition at 60min for around 30 IBUs, then hallertau MF or tradition at 10min for another 5 or 6 IBUs. I also target the upper end of FG to balance it a bit.

Thanks for the hops info. Yea a good friend of mine gave me a pound of each hop about a year ago.
They’ve just been chillin in the back of my freezer. Need to use but this beer is for competition so I may just buy some saaz since I’m going for style.
I’ll just have to brew more to use up these hops.

From your freezer, Perle. In general noble German hops Hallertauer Mittelfrüh(/Tradition), Tettnanger or Spalt (different from spalt select). Saaz is also great although it is traditionally more tightly connected to Czech pils.

Last edited:
Perle :It might be just my taste buds, but I get an almost minty hint from it that i'm not fond of. I don't sense that in other Nobles.

It's not just you. "Minty" is one of that hops flavor descriptors. Have a Belgian rye beer in primary now using it. Used 90% rye in the grain bill and have read that mint compliments rye which is why i chose it.

I've heard that Tettnanger goes well with pilsners.
I've used Weyermann Pilz before with Bobek & Aurora Slovenian and it turned out great but it was a Tripel on WL-500 so not exactly the style you're shooting for here.

Best of luck to you.

Easy choice, perle. If you want to buy new hops, hallertauer mittelfrüh. Saaz is indeed a really nice hop for pilsener, but it is a czeck variety. I would stick to something German and mittelfrüh is the queen of German hops imo.

Mt Hood and Liberty work well for flavor and aroma, and Magnum is my go-to for bittering.

Last edited:
I agree that if you are going for a German, Pils, to use German hops (not Saaz, which is more appropriate for a Czech pilsner).
I do a lot of German Pilsners, and generally bitter with either Spalt or Tettnang, and a late hop addition (10 min in the boil) of Hallertau.
Hallertau is a region, not a hop. I assume you mean Mittelfrüh?

Hallertau is a region, not a hop. I assume you mean Mittelfrüh?
Yes, I'm aware. Generally Mittelfruh is what is being referred to when you say Hallertau and is generally labelled "Hallertau" in packaged hops. Occasionally there is reference to Hallertau Hersbrucker, but that's usually just mentioned/packaged as Hersbrucker.

But for clarity's sake, yes - Hallertau Mittelfruh.

Yes, I'm aware. Generally Mittelfruh is what is being referred to when you say Hallertau and is generally labelled "Hallertau" in packaged hops. Occasionally there is reference to Hallertau Hersbrucker, but that's usually just mentioned/packaged as Hersbrucker.

But for clarity's sake, yes - Hallertau Mittelfruh.
I've also seen hallertauer magnum.and other stuff, so I guess it's more of an American or "somewhere outside Germany" thing to call mittelfrüh just hallertauer. Can be a bit misleading though. Maybe the other stuff is just not exported on such a scale as mittelfrüh, so people are not aware of the other varieties grown there.

I've also seen hallertauer magnum.and other stuff, so I guess it's more of an American or "somewhere outside Germany" thing to call mittelfrüh just hallertauer. Can be a bit misleading though. Maybe the other stuff is just not exported on such a scale as mittelfrüh, so people are not aware of the other varieties grown there.
That is entirely possible (an "Americanism"). Normally here you just see something labelled "Hallertau" or possibly "Hallertauer Hersbrucker", but I have not seen any other Hallertauer hops labelled as such in packaging.
Not saying it isn't done here, but I haven't seen it, and probably 70% of the hops I buy is German noble hops.
So yes, when/if I say "Hallertau" without any other postscript, I refer to Mittelfruh.

Wyeast 2278 was used.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38.2 KB · Views: 147
What I mean is this is the only kind they offered where as Adventures in Homebrewing offers 4 different varieties ie. Hallertau Blanc, Hallertau, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Hallertau Traditions

What I mean is this is the only kind they offered where as Adventures in Homebrewing offers 4 different varieties ie. Hallertau Blanc, Hallertau, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Hallertau Traditions

Hahaha, yes, then you are basically in the dark. I have heard of all of them, except Hallertau. It is like writing Germany as the name on the packaging.

Hahaha, yes, then you are basically in the dark. I have heard of all of them, except Hallertau. It is like writing Germany as the name on the packaging.

Ha! I wonder if you can buy Washington, US hops in Europe?

For on topic, I just bought a pound of Tettnanger hops to try for different German style lagers. First up will be a Leichtbier, can't decide after that.

Not to ignore the hop Region rant. Which is some knowledge. I’m leaning more toward that Boho pils. I want more hop bite and I’m curious to know about a good water profile for Czech/ bohemian pils. I use RO water.

Interesting that your IBUs are at 65 - any reason for that ? Thats almost as hoppy as some IPAs - I wouldn't have guessed that in a Pils - maybe 40-45 at the high end

My brew was at 25

I see 65 as "Target", but when you add up the IBU contribution from the actual hop schedule it is only 12.5 IBU.

We know the US can be pretty sloppy about geography and hops - it's still common to see "Styrian Goldings" there - and for it to be an actual mix of varieties, whereas within the EU they're pretty good these days about explicitly saying Savinjski Golding or whatever, perhaps with Styrian in brackets. And USians seem to persist in thinking that EKG is a variety rather than a geographical indication...

IME the British stores are generally fairly good about this kind of stuff.

Perle.

For an American hop that could work, Mt Hood. Sterling makes a fine pilsner but is more Bohemian than German. (it might be good for bittering, though)

Back